ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I claim money back from HO for late ILR PEO decision

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

s3cure
Newly Registered

Can I claim money back from HO for late ILR PEO decision

Post by s3cure » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:02 pm

Me and my wife received a late (3 months) decision on my ILR application which I made in person at PEO croyden. The reason I was told on the day was that they wanted to verify my wife's english language certificate and they said they will do it the next day but took 3 months.

Can I claim the £800 I paid for the premium service? Has anyone been thorugh this and got their money back?

WR1

Re: Can I claim money back from HO for late ILR PEO decision

Post by WR1 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:23 pm

Which English test did you and your wife submit?

There was an investigation into some English test centres (EMD, TOEIC, TOEFL) regarding fraud/cheating and as a result, the Home Office placed many applications on hold for those submitting English certificates from these awarding bodies while their investigations were ongoing. If your wife's application was put on hold for the same reasons, I very much doubt you can claim anything back.

Besides, the home office do state that same day appointments are for straight forward applications and if further checks are required, they will conduct them but a time frame is not generally guaranteed, so not really any chance of claiming money back. One of the drawbacks of PEO/PSC appointments.

But at least look on the positive side, you and your wife has been granted ILR, so congratulations for that.
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

s3cure
Newly Registered

Post by s3cure » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:26 am

The English test my wife did was ESOL B1 Entry Level 3 (Speaking and Listening). Anyway what you are saying is basically a refund is highly unlikely. I just feel so gutted to have lost £800 of my hard earned money.

WR1

Post by WR1 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:34 pm

S3cure

Can you confirm which awarding body it was. I assume it was Cambridge English, if so, that is a widely trusted and accepted qualification by the Home Office.

Issue is Home Office need to confirm the certificate/results are genuine and they confirm this with the concerning awarding body, Cambridge in this case.

Some tests can be confirmed online but the Cambridge ESOL Entry 3 cannot and needs to be confirmed by other means eg telephone (Why Cambridge don't have a online confirmation for ESOL needs to be clarified by Cambridge).

But you are right, 3 months is a ridiculous time to confirm something that could easily been done in 10 minutes. You definitely at least need to make a official complaint with the Home Office and see where things go from there.
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

pelen23

Post by pelen23 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:11 am

WR1 wrote:S3cure

Can you confirm which awarding body it was. I assume it was Cambridge English, if so, that is a widely trusted and accepted qualification by the Home Office.

Issue is Home Office need to confirm the certificate/results are genuine and they confirm this with the concerning awarding body, Cambridge in this case.

Some tests can be confirmed online but the Cambridge ESOL Entry 3 cannot and needs to be confirmed by other means eg telephone (Why Cambridge don't have a online confirmation for ESOL needs to be clarified by Cambridge).

But you are right, 3 months is a ridiculous time to confirm something that could easily been done in 10 minutes. You definitely at least need to make a official complaint with the Home Office and see where things go from there.
Do they check every single test result online? If yes , I will have the same problem cos I took the test in April 2012 and it is not visible online anymore

WR1

Post by WR1 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:24 pm

pelen23

Don't worry, you should be fine. Online verification only applies for tests taken on or after 6 April 2013, as such, no certificate needs to be provided (though personally I would include one as there is no harm is doing so)

Tests taken prior to 6 April 2013, you will need to include the certificate along with the statement of results.

More info on acceptable qualifications can be found here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... uage-tests

Second documents "List of approved tests and providers"

pelen23

Post by pelen23 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:37 pm

WR1 wrote:pelen23

Don't worry, you should be fine. Online verification only applies for tests taken on or after 6 April 2013, as such, no certificate needs to be provided (though personally I would include one as there is no harm is doing so)

Tests taken prior to 6 April 2013, you will need to include the certificate along with the statement of results.

More info on acceptable qualifications can be found here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... uage-tests

Second documents "List of approved tests and providers"
Oh thanks that's a relief. I have test results speaking reading passed ect do I need to show that with the certificate?