ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

8 year Cap - Tier 4

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

rajesh21
Newly Registered

8 year Cap - Tier 4

Post by rajesh21 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:30 pm

After my MPhil, I have applied for a PhD in a Russell Group University. My application is successful and I am offered a place. However, the course duration is 4 years. (It is an MPhil/PhD). I have already stayed in the UK for four and half years. This means, according to the 8 years cap, I have only three and a half years left. The admissions department in the University says that they can issue a CAS only for 4 years, for an MPhil/PhD. They do not have a program code for a stand alone PhD. My professor says that his hands are tied, but he can give me a letter which says that he fully expects me to complete the course within a three years period, and even if the course spills over to a fourth year, he can supervise me remotely, over Skype. Is this letter will be of help? If I'm to apply for a Visa with a CAS letter that mentions the course duration as four years along with the letter from my professor which says he expects me to complete the course within three years, will that application be successful? Somebody please help. Thanks a lot.

Mr Adviser
Newly Registered

Re: 8 year Cap - Tier 4

Post by Mr Adviser » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:27 pm

The 8 year cap doesn't apply to PhD students, as long as it is their first postgraduate RESEARCH course. Remember if you studied a taught course at Master's level, that doesn't count as research course.

Betta
Newly Registered

Post by Betta » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:26 am

MPhil is a Research programme, so there is cause to worry-his worries are justified. My advise is for him to apply for a PhD direct entry which is only three years before its too late so that he should not go over 8 years. I'am in similar but worse off situation, am finishing off MPhil but by the time I will be finishing I will only be remaining with a year to capping limit of 8 yrs on student visa. So far I have been told by at least 2 uni's that I can not be offered the PhD on the grounds of capping limit even if I qualify......................

Betta
Newly Registered

Post by Betta » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:52 am

It is what is on the CAS letter which matters most and what is adhered to by Home Office-the letter by your Prof. is all in futile.......