ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 1- 2nd extension duration - pls advise!

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Curioustoknow
Newly Registered

Tier 1- 2nd extension duration - pls advise!

Post by Curioustoknow » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:12 pm

Hi

I switched from PSW to Tier 1 general category in June 2011 just before this category was closed. When I applied for extension in 2013, my application was approved from the date of application rather than the date of expiry ( although I had applied just 20 days before my visa expiry). As such I will have only 5 day period between 10th May -15th May in 2016 to apply for ILR if I have to meet both requirements- 1) Not apply more than 28 days before visa expiry 2) complete 5 years continuous stay and not over stay on my current Tier 1 visa.

As I am a risk averse, I am thinking of applying for Tier 1 extension before April 2015 when the extension closes. My question is- if I apply for 2nd extension, will I be granted leave to remain for 3 years i.e until 2018 or just for 1 more year so that I can complete 5 years and apply for ILR?

In my view if I get extension for 3 years, I will feel safe against most odds for ex even if ILR application does not go through successfully in 2016 for any reason, I could apply again in 2017 and etc.

Can anyone please suggest the best approach? Thanks

Kumar101
Newly Registered

Re: Tier 1- 2nd extension duration - pls advise!

Post by Kumar101 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:53 am

Curioustoknow wrote: My question is- if I apply for 2nd extension, will I be granted leave to remain for 3 years i.e until 2018 or just for 1 more year so that I can complete 5 years and apply for ILR?
Hi Curioustoknow,

It is unfortunate that this topic has been scattered all over the discussion board, but no definite answer can be found.
For your 2nd extension - the only option that the case worker has is either 2 years or 3 years.

Since the UKBA's rule can be read differently regarding extentions - there have been grants of 2 years as well as 3 years for both 3+2 and 2+3 scheme of Tier-1.

You are likely to get 3 years Tier-1 extension (worst case 2 years).

Cant really comment on the risk apetite, as every person is different.

Do keep posted what you did finally and how many years of extension you got (incase you apply).

atb

Curioustoknow
Newly Registered

Re: Tier 1- 2nd extension duration - pls advise!

Post by Curioustoknow » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:46 pm

Thanks Atb. I also hope that 2nd extension does not go against my application at the time of applying for ILR or at the naturalisation process.