ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

PIO Card or OCI Card

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

am1234

PIO Card or OCI Card

Post by am1234 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:11 pm

Hi Gurus

I need you expert advice please.
myself and my wife currently hold ILR. And we have a little baby currently holds British citizenship and British Passport(Acquired under MN1).

As I understand I would be eligible to apply for OCI card once I acquire british citizenship.
My baby is currently eligible to apply for PIO card and once i acquire british citizenship than baby would also be eligible to acquire OCI card.

My question is what should I do in this situation? What is best for baby PIO card or OCI card? Any pros and cons?

Thanks in advance

ban.s

Re: PIO Card or OCI Card

Post by ban.s » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:46 pm

Your child is not eligible for OCI until you become eligible, so PIO is the only option now.

PIO card validity has been extended to lifelong and police registration removed....so both routes will offer almost same facilities.

Even in the old scenario minor children were anyway exempted from police registration so OCI or PIO doesn't make any difference. I would go for PIO for minor - costs less money.

am1234

Post by am1234 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:26 am

Many Thanks Guru.

My baby has got british citizenship/passport and got under MN1(applied after i got ILR). I never applied to babys indian citizenship even though baby was eligible.
Now for applying PIO do i need surrender certificate or birth certificate itself should be enough for application.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:33 am

if you haven't registered the birth of your child with HCI then I don't believe you need to apply for surrender certificate.

in the PIO form leave the question 'citizenship at birth' as BLANK and add a note explaining that the child was eligible for indian citizenship but the birth was not registered with HCI.

am1234

Post by am1234 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:49 pm

Many thanks guru.

What documents would I need for a minor to apply for PIO?
Thanks