ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How to rent in Ireland. EU Member + Non-EU Citizen w/ dogs

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

BridgetBudd
Newly Registered

How to rent in Ireland. EU Member + Non-EU Citizen w/ dogs

Post by BridgetBudd » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:35 pm

Hi there

I'm a British citizen living in the US with my American husband. We're relocating to Republic of Ireland next year and I'm curious about renting. Does anyone have any experience or insight?

I will be coming over first to find accommodation. We will be moving 2 dogs (one large and one small) with us. We can afford up to 800 euros/per month but I will be unemployed (and seeking work) but will have savings. My husband is a small business owner so I can prove his income in the US. We plan on opening a Limited company in Ireland.

Do you know if estate agents are receptive to renting to people with no credit rating / job in the country? Will having savings be enough to rent a decent place? Are there any areas to avoid? Are dogs usually allowed?

I'm also curious about the job market. The job sites don't seem to have a lot of positions available. My background is in recruitment and marketing so I'm not sure how easy it will be to find work.

Thanks!

Slavuj
Newly Registered

Re: How to rent in Ireland. EU Member + Non-EU Citizen w/ do

Post by Slavuj » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:21 pm

BridgetBudd wrote:Hi there

I'm a British citizen living in the US with my American husband. We're relocating to Republic of Ireland next year and I'm curious about renting. Does anyone have any experience or insight?

I will be coming over first to find accommodation. We will be moving 2 dogs (one large and one small) with us. We can afford up to 800 euros/per month but I will be unemployed (and seeking work) but will have savings. My husband is a small business owner so I can prove his income in the US. We plan on opening a Limited company in Ireland.

Do you know if estate agents are receptive to renting to people with no credit rating / job in the country? Will having savings be enough to rent a decent place? Are there any areas to avoid? Are dogs usually allowed?

I'm also curious about the job market. The job sites don't seem to have a lot of positions available. My background is in recruitment and marketing so I'm not sure how easy it will be to find work.

Thanks!
Hi,

Please check - in relation to renting:
http://www.daft.ie

Normally you must also pay deposit (it is the same amount as monthly rent).

From my experience it is quite difficult to find something decent to rent - if you have dog(s).

Unfortunately recently rent went up - especially in Dublin.
I am afraid that it will be difficult to find something good for 800 euro in the capital city.

With the job - from my point of view it is still difficult.

What about UK?
I think there should be easier...

Regards

BridgetBudd
Newly Registered

Post by BridgetBudd » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:14 pm

I've been checking Daft. I'm looking at the west coast, Galway mainly. There seem to be a lot of good properties within that price range. I'm not looking for a city apartment but something detached and large, a family home.

Sadly my dog is not allowed into the UK due to breed restrictions. I have interviews linedup with companies in Ireland already so aspects seems positive. Renting with dogs is my main concern.

robsters
Member of Standing

Post by robsters » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:32 am

is it possible to rent with no job as me and my wife are moving over soon and still job seeking :(

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:15 pm

robsters wrote:is it possible to rent with no job as me and my wife are moving over soon and still job seeking :(
Some landlords don't require you to have a job or even references. It really depends on the landlord. If you go through an agency, they will probably require references but, again, it depends.

If you have a good amount in savings, I would guess that they would be willing to rent to you. Dogs might be another issue: not many landlords allow them.

neuron

Post by neuron » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:40 pm

To add a question - what's the situation with landlords allowing cats in apartments (one cat, to be precise).

Got advice from some colleagues to just bring her along and not mention I have her, especially if there's not an explicit "no pets" clause in the lease...

Ambulance Chaser
Newly Registered

Post by Ambulance Chaser » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:43 am

Don't mention dogs or cats to a potential landlord!

€800 is not very much - although it depends whether you're in a city or in the countryside.

You shouldn't need references. You'll be asked to pay a deposit of (usually) one month's rent.

As regards areas to avoid, Ireland is the same as every other place in that there are good and bad areas. However, the west coast is generally quite safe.