ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Pros and Cons of UK Citizenship regards Inheretance

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

skashyap1982
Newly Registered

Pros and Cons of UK Citizenship regards Inheretance

Post by skashyap1982 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:21 pm

Dear Members,

I am an Indian National and currently have Permanent Residency in the UK. My father passed away a few years ago and I have some property in India which is partly in my mom’s name and partly still to be divided by my grandfather. In the next 2-5 years some property in India shall be coming to me and as Indian rules regarding heritage and gifting are very liberal I am wondering if it makes any financial sense for me to become a British citizen. My daughter being born in this country is already a British citizen.

My question is that if I choose to become a British citizen does:
- Any gift made by my mother to me in India (money/property) need to declared to UK authorities and will there be any tax (possibly inheritance tax or other) applicable
- Any inherited property (other than gift) have any tax implications

Thanks a lot in advance
Sumit

Amber
Mood:

Re: Pros and Cons of UK Citizenship regards Inheretance

Post by Amber » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:09 pm

For IHT, if your Mother survives 7 or more years since the gift was given (assuming she no longer has enjoyment of the said gift), then no IHT is payable. This is UK law so I'm not sure about any tax in India.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

vinny

Re: Pros and Cons of UK Citizenship regards Inheretance

Post by vinny » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:53 pm

I think, with regards to IHT, residence/domicile are relevant. But naturalisation does not necessarily change your domicile.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.