ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

NHS Health surcharge scheme - Tier 1 Visa Extension

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ilan_thendral

NHS Health surcharge scheme - Tier 1 Visa Extension

Post by ilan_thendral » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:40 pm

"The surcharge is expected to be £200 per year for all affected migrants except students, who will be subject to a lesser annual charge of £150. What is new and very significant is the proposal for the surcharge to be fully payable upfront at the visa application stage to cover the duration of the visa."

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... hase_3.PDF

Is this applicable to Tier 1 General Visa Extension ? If yes when is likely date this comes to effect ?

Thanks
Ilan

jonbca

Re: NHS Health surcharge scheme - Tier 1 Visa Extension

Post by jonbca » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:52 pm

I believe you'll see it in place before April 2015. Possibly even before January, based on the Minister's statement on the latest change to immigration rules:

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/ ... tion-rules
Finally, powers are being brought into force to enable us in due course to lay before Parliament the secondary legislation needed to implement the NHS health surcharge

Go12
Member of Standing

Post by Go12 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:24 pm

This government is hell bent on making money through ukba,disgusting.but does it apply for tier1 visas too?
Any idea when will it be implemented?

jonbca

Post by jonbca » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:32 pm

I don't know, but the consultation said all temporary routes, which would include Tier 1 General. However, if the levy doesn't come in until April, it won't apply to Tier 1 General because the T1G route is closing. So, take from that what you like :D.

The worst thing about this levy is that because NHS is a devolved matter, it's unlikely that the Scottish, Welsh, or Northern Irish NHSes (I live in Scotland) will see one penny of the money. They have also made separate proposals to bring in charging for some NHS services in England in addition to this levy. Thankfully, health is a devolved matter and the Scottish Government is doing all it can to attract young talent to deal with our ageing population problem.

naveediiqbal
Pakistan

Post by naveediiqbal » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:46 pm

Good point, clever thinking, so they apply this for NHS Scotland as well?

jonbca

Post by jonbca » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:49 pm

I doubt that the Scottish government will bring in separate NHS charging at point-of-use. Westminster could try to force the Scottish government, but given the recent referendum result I don't think they would try it. However, because immigration is reserved to Westminster, the NHS health levy will apply to all migrants, regardless of whether they live in England, Scotland, Wales, or Northern Ireland.

I'm more curious whether they will be imposing a health levy-type fee on ILR applications, since I'm eligible in August.

naveediiqbal
Pakistan

Post by naveediiqbal » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:01 pm

jonbca wrote:I doubt that the Scottish government will bring in separate NHS charging at point-of-use. Westminster could try to force the Scottish government, but given the recent referendum result I don't think they would try it. However, because immigration is reserved to Westminster, the NHS health levy will apply to all migrants, regardless of whether they live in England, Scotland, Wales, or Northern Ireland.

I'm more curious whether they will be imposing a health levy-type fee on ILR applications, since I'm eligible in August.
I think it is for temporary migrants (6months to 5years) while ILR is obtained post 5 years so it should not affect ILR then

Go12
Member of Standing

Post by Go12 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:07 pm

But this is not fair for tier 1 migrants since they have to already a high fees and then all this expense abt NHS.
I wonder on which date this will be applied,I guess in January 2015,cause any new rule once tabled will be discussed and only once all gud will be implemented in 2 months.

naveediiqbal
Pakistan

Post by naveediiqbal » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:18 pm

and why they are charging immigrants only (they are paying same tax as other) and on top of that their visa fees as well which is already very expensive. They are trying to squeeze the last juice from us.

abhisheks9
Member of Standing
India

Post by abhisheks9 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:52 am

i haven't gone through links/PDFs but if we all get extension before changes, UKBA won't really contact us to pay extra NHS levy?
so my guess is go for extension on existing fee before any NHS charge is levied and save ourself?
Disclaimer: This post does not contain legal advice

naveediiqbal
Pakistan

Post by naveediiqbal » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:36 am

abhisheks9 wrote:i haven't gone through links/PDFs but if we all get extension before changes, UKBA won't really contact us to pay extra NHS levy?
so my guess is go for extension on existing fee before any NHS charge is levied and save ourself?
Again smart thinking

naveediiqbal
Pakistan

Post by naveediiqbal » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:39 am

Problem is f they apply it before April 16 (like early next year) then we all may need to pay.

abhisheks9
Member of Standing
India

Post by abhisheks9 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:25 pm

based on past FEE hike of tier-1(General), it always happened on April of each year, and i can not recall or able to find if it ever happened in mid financial year.
@naveed i hope you are not making sarcastic comment or fun of me by saying "Again smart thinking"? :D
Disclaimer: This post does not contain legal advice

naveediiqbal
Pakistan

Post by naveediiqbal » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:53 pm

No offence buddy, Honestly speaking, I just wanted to encourage you, so many of us will get benefit of these thoughts or reduce their concerns based on such ideas. Keep it up by helping others

naveediiqbal
Pakistan

Post by naveediiqbal » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:04 am

So news yet about exact date and the manner of its implementation?

Go12
Member of Standing

Post by Go12 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:45 am

The government is targeting Tier1 immigrants just because we do not have any representing body.the EU ppl have a strong union supporting them.we pay taxes like the Britishers ,then again why they want to burden us with NHS fees.already the ext fees is skyrocketing.Among all developed countries like Australia ,Canada ,UK is the most partial country towards its educated migrants ,so disgusting

naveediiqbal
Pakistan

Post by naveediiqbal » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:49 am

Discrimination at its peak I must say