ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Absence whilst self employed - ILR application via Tier 1(G)

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

aquaerduo
Newly Registered

Absence whilst self employed - ILR application via Tier 1(G)

Post by aquaerduo » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:37 pm

Hi everyone,

Next month, I am going to apply for ILR via the 5 year Tier 1 (G) route. I lost my job in Jan 2013, but immediately I registered a limited company to try and see work as a self-employed person. Between Jan and June 2013 I worked as a contractor for a UK based business. For the rest of the 5 year qualifying period including the past 15 months, I was in continuous permanent employment. The total number of days I was absent from the UK during the 5 year qualifying period is 164. I have 2 questions;

1, During the 6 months when I was self-employed/contracting in 2013 (under my limited company), I was absent from the UK for 55 days, 3 weeks of which was for business. Please can you advise what evidence should I provide for this period of absence? Do I need to provide any evidence of income for this period? e.g. tax documents?

2, In 11L section of the SET (O) form, it mentions that 'For the period before you were granted leave as a Tier 1 (General) migrant, documents showing that you met the relevant requirements of the immigration rules.' What exactly are the documents required for this? Can I provide previous home office correspondence confirming that I was granted Post Study Work leave before my Tier 1? Or anything else? I have no clue...

Many thanks for your advice!!
Chloe

aquaerduo
Newly Registered

Re: Absence whilst self employed - ILR application via Tier

Post by aquaerduo » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:24 pm

Please can any senior members advise? Really appreciate it!!!

Thanks, Chloe

fielddrive

Post by fielddrive » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:00 am

aquaerduo wrote:Hi everyone,

Next month, I am going to apply for ILR via the 5 year Tier 1 (G) route. I lost my job in Jan 2013, but immediately I registered a limited company to try and see work as a self-employed person. Between Jan and June 2013 I worked as a contractor for a UK based business. For the rest of the 5 year qualifying period including the past 15 months, I was in continuous permanent employment. The total number of days I was absent from the UK during the 5 year qualifying period is 164. I have 2 questions;

1, During the 6 months when I was self-employed/contracting in 2013 (under my limited company), I was absent from the UK for 55 days, 3 weeks of which was for business. Please can you advise what evidence should I provide for this period of absence? Do I need to provide any evidence of income for this period? e.g. tax documents?

if you were only out for 164 days and any single trip wasnt for more than 90 days than you really don't need any proof. the only reason you'd need proof is if you'd want that time to be discounted for purposes for your visa application. dont sweat yourself

you'll need someone else to comment on point 2

aquaerduo
Newly Registered

Post by aquaerduo » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:46 pm

Thanks!

One more question please, and all other senior members of the board...

I didn't make money on my business so I had to file it as dormant recently when my HMRC filing was due. I'm planning to submit a letter on my own company letter head and say that I was on business trip during those 57 days trying to source suppliers and worked on projects free of charge just to build a portfolio... but would it matter if they looked my company up and see that it's now 'Dormant'? I'm concerned particularly about this part which I found on Page 20 of this guide (https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... eriods.pdf)

" Tier 1 (General) applicants who are self-employed or in
business must provide a letter of explanation of their business-related absences.
However, time spent away from the UK for extended periods, particularly if the business no
longer exists, would not be allowed."

Please can someone advise urgently...I'm due to apply next week...

Many thanks!

aquaerduo
Newly Registered

Post by aquaerduo » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:48 am

Can anyone urgently advise please?

Many thanks!!