ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Am a model and i will love to travel to the UK

Only for UK Tier 5 (Temporary work) points system
Also includes the Youth Mobility Scheme Tier 5

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

davisco12345
Newly Registered

Am a model and i will love to travel to the UK

Post by davisco12345 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:17 pm

Hi,i have this friend who has been doing modelling for a while now back in Africa, Cameroon to be precise and she will love to work as a model in the UK.has anyone please got any ideas or advice?

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Re: Am a model and i will love to travel to the UK

Post by Frontier Mole » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:27 am

Unless she is a top model eaning serious money already then she will not have a ready work route to the UK.
There are some very suspect modelling companies with Sponsor licences that are still offering modelling contracts to lesser known individuals but they are normally a pay as you earn set up where "expected earnings" is the quoted salary. These contracts are not worth the paper they are printed on unless there is already an agreed shoot in the bag from a reputable company. The ECO's know this and will focus on that.
There is little chance that your friend will get a visa even if she finds a Sponsor as the first thing the ECO will do is question how she will support herself in the UK and what are the ties in Cameroon for her to come back to. Does she own property, has she a business, husband / children to return to that kind of thing. If she lives at home and is young free and single then that all points to a visa refusal especially for an application from a Cameroon national.
In other words unless she is the exceptional case she will struggle to get to the UK to undertake modelling work.

The Station Agent

Post by The Station Agent » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:09 pm

Further to what Frontier Mole said, which is correct and enlightening, model agencies are supposed to be able to show that models are of international status before they can be issued CoS. Otherwise there are resident labour issues. There is no Home Office code of practice for modelling and the Home Office does not bother to check if model agencies are licensed with the AMA before they grant a licence; hence there are some agencies out there issuing CoS inappropriately.

davisco12345
Newly Registered

Post by davisco12345 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:15 am

thanks guys for the explanation. will pass it on to her so she can decide on what next to do

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:22 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

The Station Agent

Post by The Station Agent » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:09 am

PPE - if she applied for a PPE visa it would last 1 month and she would need proof of funds, proof she's a full-time model, an invitation from the UK, etc. It is not extendable. Whilst PPE can be used as a short term option for non-visa nationals I would not recommend it for visa nationals; not worth the hassle. Just my opinion.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Post by Frontier Mole » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:57 am

I totally agree with Station Master.
A Cameroon national is very unlikely to get PPE unless they have a successful career in Africa that puts them in the high earning bracket and the engagement in the UK was worth several thousands of pounds to be commercially viable. PPE is not easily granted unless you are well known in the industry and have a good commercial history and a portfolio of substantial shoots behind you. It is not a turn up and see what I can get work visa. You are not going to get an Unkown turning up for catalogue shots on a PPE visa.

The Station Agent

Post by The Station Agent » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:39 am

Station Master - I've been promoted. :D

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Post by Frontier Mole » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:17 pm

Then it is onwards and upwards to the Fat Controller role.
The SCS beckons :-)