ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Salary from 50000

Only for UK Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) points system. This route is now closed to new applicants.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

dancingguy05

Salary from 50000

Post by dancingguy05 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:07 am

Hi all
Can i take my salary from 50000
Tq

attahaas
India

Re: Salary from 50000

Post by attahaas » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:11 am

Yes, you can, but it won't be counted towards the expenditure of your investment.

In other words, if you take 10K as your salary from 50K, then your net investment is only 40K.
•12-Feb-2015: Applied online (Team), 200K, India
•13-Feb-2015: Submitted documents and biometrics
•25-Feb-2015: Received email saying that they need more time
•03-Mar-2015: Interviewed separately
•05-Mar-2105: Received docs and passport with visa stamped!

entrepreneur123

Post by entrepreneur123 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:14 am

so i would recommend to take salary from the revenue/sale of your business rather than from the investment funds.

dancingguy05

Post by dancingguy05 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:32 pm

Tq
How about paying staff
Tx again

entrepreneur123

Post by entrepreneur123 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:33 pm

yes you can pay ur staff or spend it on business expense

MTZ510
Member of Standing

Post by MTZ510 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:23 pm

Whether you pay salary to yourself or to your employees the salary is an expense which is charged to expense revenue summary or P &L account. I never heard an expense is an investment.
The money you invest do not sit idle in account its used in operation and generate more money unless the operations are in loss, so how can one determine whether the salary was paid through sales receipts or through original investment.

Perhaps only UKBA has the answers.

attahaas wrote:Yes, you can, but it won't be counted towards the expenditure of your investment.

In other words, if you take 10K as your salary from 50K, then your net investment is only 40K.
Always help others..... it always come back to you.
Even if i know the answer ... i have this habit of confirming from others..

attahaas
India

Post by attahaas » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:54 pm

MTZ510 wrote:Whether you pay salary to yourself or to your employees the salary is an expense which is charged to expense revenue summary or P &L account. I never heard an expense is an investment.
The money you invest do not sit idle in account its used in operation and generate more money unless the operations are in loss, so how can one determine whether the salary was paid through sales receipts or through original investment.

Perhaps only UKBA has the answers.

attahaas wrote:Yes, you can, but it won't be counted towards the expenditure of your investment.

MTZ510, paragraph 36 on page 13 of the latest Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) Visa Policy Guidance clearly states:
‘Spent’ by your business’ excludes spending on all of the following:
(1) your own remuneration,
It is clear that the entrepreneur's own salary is not considered an expenditure of the invested money. Yes, if it taken from the revenue generated or in the form of dividend, it's a different story. I guess an accountant can handle this as long as there is enough revenue generated through the business.

MTZ510
Member of Standing

Post by MTZ510 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:20 pm

Yes that what the guide says, but the question is how to determine whether the salary was paid from original investment or from cash flow generated from operations ?

To be on safe side do not take salary from your business. Simple
attahaas wrote: It is clear that the entrepreneur's own salary is not considered an expenditure of the invested money. Yes, if it taken from the revenue generated or in the form of dividend, it's a different story. I guess an accountant can handle this as long as there is enough revenue generated through the business.

marshal8732

Post by marshal8732 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:19 pm

Hi

So Just to clarify can we show salary as investment or should it be expenditure, Im slight confuse.

entrepreneur123

Ask any accountant, its obvious

Post by entrepreneur123 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:19 am

if your company is earning money, meaning from sale, then obviously salary(or any other business expense) will be from cash flow generated from operation(its not rocket science, ask any accountant or check google) so equation will be (Profit = Sale - Salary(assuming salary is less than sale)) however if in any month your company did not make enough or overall sale amount have gone through business expenses already and no new sale made, then any business expense including salary will come from investment funds. So equation will be (Loss = Investment funds - Salary) So do not take any own salary when your company is not making sale as this will come from investment funds. Hope its clear now

MTZ510 wrote:Yes that what the guide says, but the question is how to determine whether the salary was paid from original investment or from cash flow generated from operations ?

attahaas wrote: It is clear that the entrepreneur's own salary is not considered an expenditure of the invested money. Yes, if it taken from the revenue generated or in the form of dividend, it's a different story. I guess an accountant can handle this as long as there is enough revenue generated through the business.
Last edited by entrepreneur123 on Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

attahaas
India

Post by attahaas » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:24 am

entrepreneur123 wrote:if your company is earning money, meaning from sale, then obviously salary(or any other business expense) will be from cash flow generated from operation(its not rocket science, ask any accountant or check google) however if in any month your company did not make enough or overall sale amount have gone through business expenses already and no new sale made, then any business expense including salary will come from investment funds. So do not take any own salary when your company is not making sale as this will come from investment funds. Hope its clear now

MTZ510 wrote:Yes that what the guide says, but the question is how to determine whether the salary was paid from original investment or from cash flow generated from operations ?

Entrepreneur123, spot on! That's what I intended to say too.

MTZ510
Member of Standing

Post by MTZ510 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:29 am

I thought accounting works on annual basis rather than monthly basis ;)

Well this means as long as your business is in profit you can take salary from business right ?

Thats what i said in my first post. Salary is paid through revenue generated during the period rather than fm investment unless the operations are in losses.

Thanks

entrepreneur123

Post by entrepreneur123 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:39 am

yes ofcourse its annual basis. But i mentioned on monthly basis as we got small companies so easy to monitor on monthly basis e.g to keep an eye if you should take monthly dividends or not its better to use monthly accounts, but its really up to you. yes ofcourse if company is in profit then either/both you can take salary or/and dividends and if its in loss then you cannot take any of them.

MTZ510 wrote:I thought accounting works on annual basis rather than monthly basis ;)

Well this means as long as your business is in profit you can take salary from business right ?

MTZ510
Member of Standing

Post by MTZ510 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:49 am

Agreed.
Can u.share your thoughts on how to document the money invested was used in business. Because some where in guide its mentioned that money should be used in business.

Thanks
entrepreneur123 wrote:yes ofcourse its annual basis. But i mentioned on monthly basis as we got small companies so easy to monitor on monthly basis e.g to keep an eye if you should take monthly dividends or not its better to use monthly accounts, but its really up to you. yes ofcourse if company is in profit then either/both you can take salary or/and dividends and if its in loss then you cannot take any of them.

MTZ510 wrote:I thought accounting works on annual basis rather than monthly basis ;)

entrepreneur123

Post by entrepreneur123 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:55 am

when we will apply for extention then its the accountant who will write that money has been invested in the form of shares or diector loan. From accounts prepared by him it could be easily seen if the invested money is still in balance sheet or have been spent and appearing in expenditure or is in the form of cash in balance sheet or in the form of assets.

MTZ510 wrote:Agreed.
Can u.share your thoughts on how to document the money invested was used in business. Because some where in guide its mentioned that money should be used in business.

Thanks
entrepreneur123 wrote:yes ofcourse its annual basis. But i mentioned on monthly basis as we got small companies so easy to monitor on monthly basis e.g to keep an eye if you should take monthly dividends or not its better to use monthly accounts, but its really up to you. yes ofcourse if company is in profit then either/both you can take salary or/and dividends and if its in loss then you cannot take any of them.

MTZ510
Member of Standing

Post by MTZ510 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:23 am

Let me put this way, if i transfer 200K in company's bank account as directors loan. Then i use the money for trading purpose, the stock turnover is say 3 months and i get profit on stock after paying all my expenses. After 3 years my balance sheet will show Directors loan of 200K but at the same time my balance sheet will also show a good amount of bank balance because its a trading business.

I think the cash flow statement in accounts will give true picture. What you say
entrepreneur123 wrote:when we will apply for extention then its the accountant who will write that money has been invested in the form of shares or diector loan. From accounts prepared by him it could be easily seen if the invested money is still in balance sheet or have been spent and appearing in expenditure or is in the form of cash in balance sheet or in the form of assets.

Expatinlaw
Newly Registered

Post by Expatinlaw » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:35 am

Let`s make it clearer:

1) if your company within a good period made money and generated profit- salaries for your employees for this period doesn`t count as an investment for the purpose of the extension application.
2) if your company within a bad period has failed to generate profit - salaries for your employees for this period does count as an investment.

BUT! How you can show that if your bad period comes after a good one and your money mixed up on your business acc? Can you acctually stipulate in your directors loan agreement that "all money borrowed should be used for development purposes only"? or maybe it makes sense to open a saparete bank account for salaries? Any suggestions?

Expatinlaw
Newly Registered

Post by Expatinlaw » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:35 am

In other words, you can claim salaries for your empoyees when you are not doing well with your business that seems to be absolutelly irrational for the purpose of the Tier 1 (E) visa as whole

rajrea
Mood:
India

Post by rajrea » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:35 am

Hai Friends here i got a query relating to the Directors salary.

My question is can i take salary as a Director from my business account ? as my company is trading

rajrea
Mood:
India

My question is can i take salary as a Director from my business account ? as my company is trading

rajrea
Mood:
India

Jaggers

Post by Jaggers » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:43 pm

I think: Actual investment must be spent in full except own salary

from generated revenue it possible to show director salary in profit and loss chart.

I had my hearing yesterday and this concern was raised.