ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

em-em

Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit

Post by em-em » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:49 pm

Hello i just have a question about CTC and WTC,i am on spouse visa at the moment and due for ILR on March 2015,my husband is English and claiming for child benefit on his name only,are we entitled to claim CTC and WTC? If yes will it affect my application for ILR?Also my husband is earning £21,600 yearly before tax so i'm not sure if we can claim for our 2 children and if we're entitled to claim where can we apply for those benefits?Thank you!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit

Post by CR001 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:00 pm

If yes will it affect my application for ILR?
No, it will not affect your ILR application. Tax credits must be claimed in joint names. You can claim, if entitled, through HM Revenue and Customs or Citizens Advice Bureau can help you with the application.

Use the link below to see if you and your spouse are entitled to claim :

http://www.entitledto.co.uk/
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

em-em

Post by em-em » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:29 pm

thanks for the reply,just wondering becoz the letter i got from home office says that i can't claim for those benefits like working tax credit and child tax credit as it will breach my application for ILR,but why some people claim those benefits even if they're still applying for ILR?bit confusing,can my husband claim it by himself?he had children before and they're all grown up now and since the day they were born he wasn't claiming anything apart from child benefit which is he entitled to,we want to apply for those benefit but worries me a lot since i am applying for ILR,don't wanna leave them..thanks guys!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:57 pm

If your husband is British, he claims child benefit in his own name only.

Tax credits must be in joint names even if you have 'no recourse to public funds'. It will not affect your ILR application and if you search the forum, you will find the same answer.

Have you gone onto the link I provided to check eligibility for your husband?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

em-em

Post by em-em » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:47 pm

thanks CR001! yes my husband is english and i went to that link you sent me,thank you for clarification as i said it's confusing that they said on the letter that you can't claim but actually you can,wish they stick to what they said in their letter as well that if i'll apply for ILR i just have to improve my scoreband by one level(ESOL) or take the LIUK test as the test really pressuring me a lot,phew! thanks again for the reply! :)