ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

A1 English Test without a passport?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

HakmedBond

A1 English Test without a passport?

Post by HakmedBond » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:22 pm

Hello all,

I am planning on sending in my application for the FLR(fp) 10 year partner route next week.

We meet all the requirements, financial(my partner earns over £31k/annum), living together(been living together over 5 years in the U.K.) and proof of relationships(letter family and a friend, numerous photographs etc.) apart from the English Certificate.

Although my English level is above the required level of A1, I still need to prove this by taking an English Language Assessment Test. I do not have a degree nor do I come from a country where the main language is English.

My passport has been with the Home Office since the refusal on my previous application, which was on a different category - business related. As most of you may know, the accepted English tests, known as SELT require you to have a passport on the day of the exam.

I have contacted the Home Office late last week - via special delivery, and earlier on this week to ask 1) for a certified copy and 2) for the actual passport, clearly explaining why I need it.

As my leave to remain had expired, I don't believe that they will send me my passport, nor do I think that they will send me the certified copy.

Could anyone who has been in a similar situation share their experiences? I do not want to create a reason that they may use against me in the application.

Thank you in advance!

scoobydoolondon

Re: A1 English Test without a passport?

Post by scoobydoolondon » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:41 am

Give these people a call - your Home Office letter stating the passport has been held may be enough.

http://www.theenglishacademy.co.uk/

They may ask for other ID so explain the situation and see what they say.

Let us know how you get on.

mkhan2525

Post by mkhan2525 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:12 pm

Ask your solicitor to write HO retained passport on your refusal letter and sign it. You will then need a photocopy of your passport.

Do you have a provisional or full driving license?

HakmedBond

Post by HakmedBond » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:43 pm

scoobydoolondon wrote:Give these people a call - your Home Office letter stating the passport has been held may be enough.

http://www.theenglishacademy.co.uk/

They may ask for other ID so explain the situation and see what they say.

Let us know how you get on.

I can't thank you enough for providing their contact information!

They accept certified copy. Although they do not provide A1, they offer B1 - which is fine since the A1 is the minimum level required.

Going in on Saturday for the test! They even offer a result sheet after the exam to use in my application so that I do not need to wait up-to4 weeks to get the certificate.

@mkhan2525 Thank you for your input too! I had previously informed the test centres about this but been told that they wouldn't accept even if the Home Office sent a certified copy by themselves directly.
The only other form of ID I have is my national ID, which is non-EU therefore not accepted.

Thank you very much to both of you again. This really was the only remaining point in my application.

scoobydoolondon

Post by scoobydoolondon » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:18 pm

So glad you got it sorted.

My wife used them for her A1 test and they were very quick to post out the certificate. As I recall, it only took 4 days for the certificate to arrive. We had to supply an A4 self-addressed stamped envelope for the certicate.

Fingers crossed you'll get your certificate quickly. You'll need the actual certificate for your visa application.

HakmedBond

Post by HakmedBond » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:46 pm

I was hoping to send in my application next week and adding the result sheet provided by the centre - but I guess I can wait as I am going to be applying for permission to FTT to re-appeal at UT.

Hoping it will not take as long as the suggested maximum time of 4 weeks.

HakmedBond

Post by HakmedBond » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:18 pm

scoobydoolondon wrote:So glad you got it sorted.

My wife used them for her A1 test and they were very quick to post out the certificate. As I recall, it only took 4 days for the certificate to arrive. We had to supply an A4 self-addressed stamped envelope for the certicate.

Fingers crossed you'll get your certificate quickly. You'll need the actual certificate for your visa application.

I just wanted to thank you once more!

Went in on Saturday and took the test - very easy.

Apparently it takes 4-6 weeks to get the certificate, I hope it wont be that long.

Thank you for suggesting that centre again.

Vickyali
Newly Registered

Post by Vickyali » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:07 am

Hello guys,

Is there any one knows about taking a B2 level exam without original passport please.

My passport is with ukba and i need it for Tier 4 visa.
Please guys your help will get me out from trouble.
Many thanks

HakmedBond

Post by HakmedBond » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:25 pm

Vickyali wrote:Hello guys,

Is there any one knows about taking a B2 level exam without original passport please.

My passport is with ukba and i need it for Tier 4 visa.
Please guys your help will get me out from trouble.
Many thanks
Hello Vickyali,

As suggested above, have you got a certified copy from your solicitor/UKVI?

If you can get one, then the above mentioned centre might be able to accept.

Of course you can also always try contacting UKVI directly - I still havent heard anything after my letters...

Hope you can get it sorted.

Tommy6767
Newly Registered

Post by Tommy6767 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:58 pm

Can anyone please help. I'm Trying to get my spouse
to do the A1 speaking and listening test but all the institutions I have contacted will only accept original passport not a certified copy from the HO which is what I have. Thanks.