ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

DRIVING IN IRELAND

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Cometoireland
Kenya

DRIVING IN IRELAND

Post by Cometoireland » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:11 pm

Hi All,

Thanks again for those who helped with information while I was applying for my spouse visa. I am happy to report that I'm now happily reunited with my husband in Ireland.

My question is about driving in Ireland. I have a full driving license issued in Kenya. According to https://www.ndls.ie/holders-of-foreign- ... -countries:
If you are not from any of the above countries, (for example The United States), and you hold a national driving licence or an international driving permit from your own country, you may drive in Ireland for the duration of your temporary visit (up to 12 months).

If your stay in Ireland will be more than 12 months you can apply for an Irish driving license but you will need to go through the full driver licensing procedure. You must first pass a driver theory test , apply for a learner permit, complete a course of Essential Driver Training(EDT) and pass your driving test in Ireland. If you pass your driving test, you can then apply for a full Irish driving license.

Question: Since my GNIB card was issued for the next 12 months, am i allowed to drive with my Kenyan license as i work towards processing the Irish one?

Regards,

joker
Ireland

Re: DRIVING IN IRELAND

Post by joker » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:55 pm

If you're moving here on a permanent basis, legally you have 30 days. If you chance your arm driving on own licence then it depends on the Garda you meet but why take a chance if you going to be living here permanently

joker
Ireland

Post by joker » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:11 am

If you're moving here on a permanent basis, legally you have 30 days. If you chance your arm driving on own licence then it depends on the Garda you meet but why take a chance if you going to be living here permanently

tastylentils

Post by tastylentils » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:57 pm

Without an international driving licence permit you're definitely not allowed to drive on a kenyan licence while working towards a new one. You'll have to do a theory and then you'll have to wait 6 months and do mandatory driving lessons before getting a chance at taking a test.

banana07
Member of Standing

Post by banana07 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:31 am

I drove on foreign non eu license for a year and had international one just in case i get caught however only 1 insurance accepted that but premium was 7 times higher and said i have to change it within a year (insurance here do not care what you residence is) they want history and address and of course MONEY
I'm officially diagnosed with INIS "processing" phobia

Cometoireland
Kenya

Post by Cometoireland » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:10 am

Thanks all. I contacted the RSA and was advised that I am legally allowed to drive on my Kenyan license for up to a year before I can get my Irish license. I am currently insured to drive but as mentioned above...it is super expensive but once i get my learners permit, then it reduces to 1500 Euro. I will be going for my test in a few weeks so it should be ok.