ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

When To Apply For ILR when on Spouse Visa from Post study

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

skywalker007
Newly Registered

Extending Spouse Visa Early

Post by skywalker007 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:21 pm

my Spouse Visa is up for renewal by end of April next year.I have been looking on UKBA website and it say i need to apply before my Visa expires. my question is, Can i apply lets say in december Or January next year. There is nothing on their website that say i have to wait till April before i apply.

Casa

Re: Extending Spouse Visa Early

Post by Casa » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:59 pm

You can apply no earlier than 28 days before the expiry date. Any earlier than this and your application will be refused and you will lose your fee.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

vinny

Re: Extending Spouse Visa Early

Post by vinny » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:32 pm

For Further Leave to Remain applications, the grant of leave has a maximum time limit from the date of the decision.

Applying too early may result in you being unable to meet the qualifying period for Indefinite Leave to Remain within the validity of your Further Leave to Remain. Then you many need to make further unnecessary applications for extensions of stay.

If you apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain sooner than 28 days before the completion of your qualifying period and do not qualify on the date of the decision, then you may be refused.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

skywalker007
Newly Registered

When To Apply For ILR when on Spouse Visa from Post study

Post by skywalker007 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:33 am

Hello,

I'm a bit confused about this so i will try and give the scenario
Enter the UK on student Visa 2009
Got my Post study Visa 2010
Got my spouse visa in oct 2012
second stage spouse visa April 2015 which is due to expiry October 2017

The home office information is not clear for this scenario. it says you have to have lived in the UK for 5 years but i have been here for 7 years .does than mean i can apply for ILR now? i know i can wait for just another 8 months before applying but i would like to apply now if i am eligible now.

any help will be appreciated.

vinny

Re: When To Apply For ILR when on Spouse Visa from Post stud

Post by vinny » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:05 am

The 5-year qualifying period for SET(M) started when you were initially in the UK under spouse leave.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Casa

Re: When To Apply For ILR when on Spouse Visa from Post stud

Post by Casa » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:24 am

In which case you can apply for ILR no earlier than 29 days before the expiry date of your current visa.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.