ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Refused entry to USA on British passport, can I use Irish?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

seando32
Newly Registered

Refused entry to USA on British passport, can I use Irish?

Post by seando32 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:48 pm

Hey everyone, this might seem complicated but bear with me.

I was refused entry to the USA back in 2000 while using a British passport.

I was told I couldn't enter for another ten years as I over stayed my previous visit by seven months.
That British passport was an.old style one with no chip in it.

Since then I've legally changed my name to the Irish spelling and it is completely different from the English name I was stopped by US immigration authorities.

My new IRISH passport has the chip in it and as far as I know I'm almost a different person.

Here's the question, would the US authorities know I'm the guy the refused many years ago even though it's a different nation passport and different name?

I plan to visit the US soon but I don't have the time to go through the visa process for previously refused travelers.

If any of you fellow irish travellers know anything I'd love to know.

Thank you.

banana07
Member of Standing

Re: Refused entry to USA on British passport, can I use Iris

Post by banana07 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:36 pm

have you provided your fingerprints in 2000? if so, then they will catch you at pre-clearance.

also, since 9/11 systems changed, and passenger information are exchanged and personal details.. especially between US alliances (Ireland is big friend) and there is a "note" flag in the system for ppl who changed their name, or have name variance or even had any slight difference about themselves.. if you travel to say morocco, its highly unlikely they know your info because irish and british authorities do not exchange such data with them, unless you are a T person.

on thing to remember, when you go through waiver, you need to put the API data and fill the waiver in advance, and the information provided by you, will automatically flag you, such as being born in a country and hold another country passport, and dont forget, you accept the terms of waiver programme (biggest one: you never been refused a US visa before)..

if you apply nowadays (until J1 programme timeline start) to US embassy in dublin, the visa is issued within 24 hours and no waiting list or any enjoyment.. and remember, US is the only country in the world that if you tell them upfront and being honest with them in regards to immigration, you will take a visa on spot! they are the easiest in visa, but the hardest in entry - no smile, no lie, no nervousness... or you are returned home!

on the other side, you already passed the 10 years, so its not an issue now for you.. just go for normal visa, and dont over stay, and in future they will welcome you anytime you come back!
I'm officially diagnosed with INIS "processing" phobia

seando32
Newly Registered

Post by seando32 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:21 pm

Hi there, thanks for the reply, no, I didn't give fingerprints in 2000 so I always assumed they wouldn't have a clue who I am but after reading your reply I'm full of apprehension, I'm going to a concert and have laid a lot of money down.

I wasn't aware Ireland would share so much info with the States.

I also note while booking my tickets on Aer Lingus, there is a thing I have to do online, it cost $14 and is a check by the US homeland security so hopefully they will say then and there ok, come or, no thanks stay in Ireland.

I just wanna go to a concert lol.

bebo1901

Post by bebo1901 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:47 pm

the ten years have passed anyway

jeupsy

Post by jeupsy » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:39 am

I would say: there is a pretty good chance for them not to realise you are the same person as the one who was banned from the us in 2000, but it is also quite possible they do realise.

If it is the case, it is very likely they will want to question you further: you will probably agree that a person who was denied entry to the US for 10 years and is then coming back with a passport showing a different name and a different nationality will definitively raise a red flag. If you explain everything to them and there is nothing wrong with you since the 10 years ban, they will probably let you go through ... but you might have a stressful few hours.

An ex-colleague of mine who used to be Indian had applied for a business visa to the US but never went as the meetings he was meant to attend there got cancelled. He then became an Irish citizen and went to the US for these meetings a few months later on his Irish passport. He had done absolutely nothing wrong but when they noticed he was the same person and did question him for a while as they wanted to know why he applied for a visa and never used it, but then came with a different passport.

So my advice is: if the 10 years ban has expired and you have done nothing wrong since then: it might be simpler to just go there on the same passport - the is no reason for them not to let you in.