ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

citizenship: Traffic offence (without court) = conviction?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

xxxtieee

citizenship: Traffic offence (without court) = conviction?

Post by xxxtieee » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:17 pm

Hi,

Was caught for over-speeding on M7 and was given 2 points and a fine. Didnt go to court or there wasn't any official conviction or judgement. Should that be mentioned as an answer to the Citizenship application question:

Do you have any convictions in the state (including traffic offences) or any civil judgement made again you?

My question may sound stupid - but is traffic offence a 'conviction'?
Has that deterred anyone from getting citizenship?
-xxxtieee-

fatty patty

Post by fatty patty » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:15 am

Conviction would've been if you were served that speeding notice and didn't pay or contested that charge in the court and found guilty/not guilty. At present its a speeding ticket which you duly paid and have points on your license for around three years so imho you are fine, but there has been stories where applicants were refused for breaking red lights and minor traffic offences etc.

KODO
Newly Registered

Re: citizenship: Traffic offence (without court) = convictio

Post by KODO » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:31 pm

xxxtieee wrote:Hi,

Was caught for over-speeding on M7 and was given 2 points and a fine. Didnt go to court or there wasn't any official conviction or judgement. Should that be mentioned as an answer to the Citizenship application question:

Do you have any convictions in the state (including traffic offences) or any civil judgement made again you?

me i got 4 penalty point 2 before application and 2 during waiting for approvall i even went to court by mistake still got approval 2 weeks ago.

adlexy

Post by adlexy » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:11 pm

xxxtieee wrote:Hi,

I will say NO in that section of the form :)

You have not be taken to a court of competent jurisdiction and have not been convicted of any traffic offence; what happened to you is simply a traffic fine which you paid promptly and also suffered the backlash of 2points which equals increased insurance cost :).

I will suggest that you are a lucky person with a privilege of on the spot fine. You paid quickly and your case is now closed.

A few weeks back, I was reading on this forum someone (cyclist) who broke the red light and ended up in court! In my "ignorance" I always thought that breaking the red light is part of the rule of the road for cyclist which they must obey :)

Congratulations!

All the best :)

xxxtieee

Post by xxxtieee » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:47 am

Thanks Kodo and adlexy,

@Kodo: dod you put NO on the application when you applied? Or is that too personal a question? :)

@adlexy: my thoughts were in your lines as well. However, the fact that they have specifically mentioned "(Traffic Offenses)" in the application - and give the history of INIS about being unclear, i am kinda confused even now.
-xxxtieee-

adlexy

Post by adlexy » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:20 pm

xxxtieee wrote: @adlexy: my thoughts were in your lines as well. However, the fact that they have specifically mentioned "(Traffic Offenses)" in the application - and give the history of INIS about being unclear, i am kinda confused even now.
To be honest, I think the ambiguity is useful to you most - The answer to that question is NO. At least until their ambiguity is properly defined!

And more importantly, a ticket is not a conviction, it is only a fine. A conviction is based on the pronouncement of a Judge in a court of law, and of competent jurisdiction :)

All the best :)

KODO
Newly Registered

Post by KODO » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:29 pm

xxxtieee wrote:Thanks Kodo and adlexy,

@Kodo: dod you put NO on the application when you applied? Or is that too personal a question? :)

@adlexy: my thoughts were in your lines as well. However, the fact that they have specifically mentioned "(Traffic Offenses)" in the application - and give the history of INIS about being unclear, i am kinda confused even now.

hi i put no becouse i pay the fine quickly......i was in court cous of driving with phone after my applicatin but case struck out by court i still get citizenship waiting for date i paid 950 euros hopes this help xxxtieee

xxxtieee

Post by xxxtieee » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:49 pm

Thanks adlexy and KODO. your answers have clarieid things :)

Cheers
-xxxtieee-

singh07

Post by singh07 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:33 am

has any one know if we have to mention struck out cases in naturalisation case

i was in court for no nct gaurd didnt came judge strike out case do we have to mention in naturalisation