ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Doctoral Extension Scheme

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

km25

Doctoral Extension Scheme

Post by km25 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:32 pm

Dear experts,
I am writing on behalf of my friend who has been given the wrong advice on when to apply for the DES. When they had contacted the university twice they asked her to wait until the final viva date was confirmed and this meant that her application window was quite narrow. She therefore missed the window for applying for DES.

After researching a little bit I just found out that DES is totally dependant upon the University and if the university does not sponsor you or does not provide you with the letter then you are stuck. Why should UKVI link this DES through an university when the person is already completed their PhD and are eligible to apply for the DES? Is this a fair process? And what if a student falls out with the university then they can push the student around to delay this and then get rid of the student through this way. i am sure this is unacceptable.

Speaking to UKVI hasn't given any positive results either as they have directed my friend back to the University saying that if the university can provide a supporting letter she can apply. However, the university will not give her the supporting letter as she has missed the window for the application. Her current student visa is still valid and i am sure there must be a way she can apply to the UKVI explaining the situation. If she has completed her doctorate programme then why are they pushing people around by giving silly excuses.

Please advice as what the options are available for her with DES visa?

Also, could she speak to a solicitor who can help her put a case together for the reasons why the University cannot support her and why this isn't fair?

Please respond! Also, any immigration lawyers who could help us? Please share your opinions and experience.

Yours truly