ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Canada vs UK. Which is better?

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

carloseanopry
Newly Registered

Canada vs UK. Which is better?

Post by carloseanopry » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:08 am

Hi, I am currently in a situation wherein I have to decide whether I live/settle in Canada or stay in the UK.

My family applied for a permanent residency in 2005 and we recently got approved and asked to fly here 9 years later. Yes, I know, ridiculously long and it just poofed out of nowhere. So, I am in Canada right now as a landed immigrant making a short landing with my family as the immigration asked us to do so.

I am 18 years old, have an indefinite leave to remain in the UK and can apply for British Citizenship this October 2015. I also have applied to universities in the UK and classified under Home category thus I will be under student loans. I got offers from Newcastle and Exeter. Cambridge was unsuccessful and I'm now waiting for a response by Durham and Birmingham. All of these universities are Russel Group (Ivy League equivalent in the UK). I am planning to study BA Modern Languages that means major in French, Spanish and probably minor in German. So yes, it do seems like I have a promising future in the UK as well.

However, if I stay to get my British citizenship and decide to go to university there, I lose my Canadian citizenship and residency. But if I choose to come back to Canada after finishing sixth form in the UK, I can study in a community college here for 2 years and definitely transfer to University of British Columbia and do a Bachelor of Arts Degree where I can study languages and maybe even do International Relations. Also sounds promising... BUT im going to have to take a gap year to get a job and earn money since the student loans system in Canada is not the same as in the UK. Basically, student loans is a last resort and it is best to pay when you can. This also means that all of my studies of A-levels in the UK will be in vain since community college will only credit my GCSE and high school qualifications :( The wait for Canada's response already made me map out how my life could look like if I became a British citizen.. But I am aware that the UK is undergoing the effects of recession so I am also trying to think realistically.

I would just like to know based on experience... where is it better to live? My parents are letting me decide because they said I am 18 and an adult now and this is a make-it or break-it situation. They plan to live here in Canada. But they said, they will be alright with me studying in the UK since i stay in a dorm and I could have my own place to stay and work after uni.

Based on experience, I like how Canada is peaceful, calm. But I do miss the city life of London. And the unis I went to can offer the same rural experience since theyre big cities as well. I also find the transportation in London so convenient. I'd live in Coquitlam and as a city person, I really find this quite a peeve. I'd love to live in Vancouver but it is so expensive. I like how houses are detached here however contrary to the UK. The roads are huge in Canada. I also like how French is the second official language. I like how the UK is a fashion district too since im a fashion enthusiast.

I honestly would want to take a dual citizenship but it seems impossible at this moment. Would it be easier though to get a British citizenship when a Canadian citizen or vice versa? I also would like to know if a degree in British Columbia would be more outstanding on paper compared to a degree earned in the UK. Are there better job opportunities here in Canada compared to the UK? How is the economy? Which will be more ideal to live in the long-term? I did my research but I would just like to have more personal input. Especially if you have experienced staying in both the UK and Canada. But if you have expert knowledge regarding the economy and living in either countries, please share your opinions or arguments.

Thank you in advance.

act834
Newly Registered

Re: Canada vs UK. Which is better?

Post by act834 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:37 pm

It's hard to compare, depends on so many personal preferences, but I think cost is the biggest difference. Living expenses and university fees are much much cheaper in Canada as I'm sure you are aware. So depending on how deep your wallet is, it might be more affordable to live in Canada, unless you feel like you might have more job opportunities in the UK.

Even
Newly Registered

Re: Canada vs UK. Which is better?

Post by Even » Sat May 02, 2015 9:49 am

Are you sure about the need to drop one of the citizenships?

I think both countries allow dual-citizenship.

Coincidentally, a close friend, having lived for many years in the UK, is planning to relocate tothe west coast of Canada. (Victoria). His claim, after extensive research, is that the standard of living is generally higher and the quality of life better so long as there is any attraction to outdoor sports, nature etc.. He is a bit biased though ... he's Canadian.

Vancouver is expensive but surely not as expensive as London.