ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visa free travel for Residence Card holder Case refer to ECJ

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

daddy
Member of Standing

Re: Visa free travel for Residence Card holder Case refer to

Post by daddy » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:29 pm

How long will it take the ECJ to deliver this judgement? Advocate general handed his opinion since 20th May, till now, no judgement delivered.

Any ideas pls

Daddy.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:43 pm

rogerlongships wrote:from my own freedom of information request no such fines have ever been issued to family members who have the right under EU law
Do you have a link to the FOI request and the results?

rogerlongships

Post by rogerlongships » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:55 pm

I have an email stating no fines have ever been issued under that scenario. I believe the same information should be on the "what do they know" site. It was some years ago.

acme4242

Post by acme4242 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:30 am

daddy wrote:How long will it take the ECJ to deliver this judgement? Advocate general handed his opinion since 20th May, till now, no judgement delivered.

Any ideas pls

Daddy.
Next week

Date of delivery
18/12/2014

http://curia.europa.eu/juris/fiche.jsf? ... cid=313194

dalebutt

Post by dalebutt » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:07 am

http://curia.europa.eu/juris/document/d ... cid=205928

It's always been very clear, the UK courts just don't seem to have the courage to deliver the judgement, it's been done on their behalf.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:16 am

Yes the judgement is out.

It is official, the UK has been in breach of EU law for 8 years and 8 months now.

Hopefully the breach will now come to an end.

I have always thought Haden-Cove got it wrong big time, now the Grand Chamber has confirmed this.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

JFS
Newly Registered

Post by JFS » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:27 am

Judgment as expected, indeed.

daddy
Member of Standing

Post by daddy » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:47 am

On those grounds, the Court (Grand Chamber) hereby rules:

Both Article 35 of Directive 2004/38/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 29 April 2004 on the right of citizens of the Union and their family members to move and reside freely within the territory of the Member States amending Regulation (EEC) No 1612/68 and repealing Directives 64/221/EEC, 68/360/EEC, 72/194/EEC, 73/148/EEC, 75/34/EEC, 75/35/EEC, 90/364/EEC, 90/365/EEC and 93/96/EEC and Article 1 of the Protocol (No 20) on the application of certain aspects of Article 26 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union to the United Kingdom and to Ireland must be interpreted as not permitting a Member State to require, in pursuit of an objective of general prevention, family members of a citizen of the European Union who are not nationals of a Member State and who hold a valid residence card, issued under Article 10 of Directive 2004/38 by the authorities of another Member State, to be in possession, pursuant to national law, of an entry permit, such as the EEA (European Economic Area) family permit, in order to be able to enter its territory

ABOVE IS THE RULLING. THANKS TO GOD, SHAME TO UK IMMIGRATION SYSTEM.

Thanks to all members who has been keeping an eye on the progress of this case. Now you may travel to UK with your Residence card issued under article 10 in company/joining your EU spouse. Cheers guys!

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:52 am

Not quite sure airlines will allow a person to travel just yet.

UK may first need to give effect to the decision.

daddy
Member of Standing

Post by daddy » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:27 pm

[quote="Obie"]Not quite sure airlines will allow a person to travel just yet.

UK may first need to give effect to the decision.[/quote]

Yeah, as usuall, but they would not want further claim against them from any passenger who would be denied boarding, so I guess they will be quick this time.

nahmed

Post by nahmed » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:28 pm

357mag
Member of Standing
Bulgaria

Post by 357mag » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:04 pm

Congratulations and thank you the McCarthy family.
I am not a forum GURU, I am often wrong
Dont take any notice of anything I post, I'm getting old and havn't the foggiest what I'm talking about.

rogerlongships

Post by rogerlongships » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:15 pm

I note the goverment are not saying much except to say the original case has gone back to the High Court. How long do you expect before they make their own ruling public? I note there is already a lot of negative spin being put on what is a good result for many law abiding citizens.I have always been happy for border control to ask questions and check papers and documents AT the border....a step closer today.

biblapmcdantope
Newly Registered

Post by biblapmcdantope » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:26 pm

So if I have a non-EU Spouse living with me in Spain, and she has a residents card, I can bring her to the UK – but for how long? I’d need to return to Spain to renew the card after a year right?

dalebutt

Post by dalebutt » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:53 pm

No, please see; http://www.immigrationboards.com/eea-ro ... 14867.html , and http://www.immigrationboards.com/eea-ro ... 38469.html . If you have further question please start a new thread.

Rolfus

Post by Rolfus » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:06 pm

This judgment is very welcome. I note two things:
first, there is nothing in the judgment or the obiter about family members having to be accompanying or joining the EU citizen. That is in accordance with 2004/38 Art 5.1. It appears that a residence-card-holding family member can use that card to make a shopping trip to London - see obiter 49 to 52;
second, there is nothing in the judgment that suggests that a Member state, when presented with a valid Residence card of a family member of a Union citizen, issued under Article 10 of 2004/38, can make enquiries as to whether that card was issued to a family member under Art 2.2 or an other family member under Art 3.2. This is reinforced in the obiter paragraphs 53 and 62.
Three cheers for the McCarthys!
civis europeus sum

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:59 pm

Yes the key word there is obiter.

obiter cannot act as authority.

tebee

Post by tebee » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:55 pm

Do we know what is going to be implemented and when yet ?

I'm planning to travel back UK just for a one week trip, with my Non-EEa wife from France where I live in 3 months and am wondering if I can rely on this ruling ?
“I speak the truth not so much as I would, but as much as I dare: and I dare a little more as I grow older.

acme4242

Post by acme4242 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:31 pm

tebee wrote:Do we know what is going to be implemented and when yet ?
I'm planning to travel back UK just for a one week trip, with my Non-EEa wife from France where I live in 3 months and am wondering if I can rely on this ruling ?
Sorry, No, you cannot,
Illegal UK policy still applies until its overturned by UK court. Don't know when the case will be heard.

Checking TIMATIC, UK still demand EEA Family Permit
http://www.gulfair.com/English/info/pre ... ation.aspx
Visa required, except for Holders of an EEA Family Permit
issued by the UK
Pending return to this UK court case
http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Adm ... /3368.html
In the result, I stay the proceedings and order a reference to the CJEU of the question whether the UK's approach to non-EEA family members holding EU "residence cards" issued by other Member States is lawful, having regard to the matters set out in the Secretary of State's evidence and the terms of the Frontiers Protocol and Article 35 of the Directive
EDIT:Reading the following post by logical_1, he is correct EU law takes precedence over National policy (its not actual UK law)
However UK Home Office have not changed their policy as reflected in TIMATIC. The airline Visa checking system.
So its just a matter of successfully getting on a flight past the airline immigration checks.
Last edited by acme4242 on Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

logical_1

Post by logical_1 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:07 am

This was posted on one of fb groups:
This is from an email that one of my friends received from Europa advice after asking if they could travel to the UK without applying for FP. They traveled to the UK on New Years eve without any problems. Didn't even get asked any questions at the boarder. Just stamped his passport.

Last week, the EU Court of Justice handed down an important ruling that held that Member States are, in principle, required to recognise a residence card issued under Article 10 of Directive 2004/38, for the purposes of entry into their territory without a visa.

The EU Court of Justice s ruling in case C-202/13 McCarthy specifically held that the UK authorities were in breach of Directive 2004/38 by requiring family members of EU citizens to obtain an EEA Family Permit even though they held a residence card and wished to travel to the UK with their EU or join them there.

This principle also applies to the family members a British citizen returning home after having resided together in another EU Member State.

As a result, the UK should now be recognising EU family member residence cards issued by other Member States and should not be requiring them to apply for an EEA Family Permit in order to travel to the UK. This would include any European residence card.

The EU Court did not limit the effects of its judgment in time. Therefore the ruling applies irrespective of when your spouse was issued with their residence card, provided it has not expired when he seeks entry with you to the UK.

The UK authorities are required to give effect to this judgment.

EU law takes precedence over conflicting provisions of national law. According to the established case law of the Court of Justice of the European Union, where a directly applicable provision of EU law contravenes national law, national courts are under an obligation to set aside the offending provision of national law and uphold the provision of EU law (Case 106/77 Simmenthal [1978] ECR 629). This obligation also applies to national governmental agencies and other public authorities (Case 103/88 Fratelli Constanzo [1989] ECR 1839). t is also the duty of the courts to give UK regulations a construction with accord with instruments of EU law (Lister v Forth Dry Dock [1988] UKHL 10 (16 March 1989)) and this is to be done by implying the words necessary to achieve that result (Pickstone v Freemans plc [1988] UKHL 2 (30 June 1988)).

As a result, the Home Office – including both UK Visas and Immigration and Border Force – are under a legal obligation to allow entry to the UK to family members of an EU citizen who hold a residence card issued by other EU countries, provided this residence card identifies them as the family member of an EU citizen.

This legal obligation takes immediate effect and does not depend upon the date of issue of the family member s residence card.

This legal obligation also applies to family members a British citizen returning home after having resided together in another EU Member State, when they hold a residence card identifying them as the family member of an EU citizen.

We recommend that if you and your spouse try to enter the UK on this basis, you would need to travel with the following documents:

-your passports;
-your spouses residence card;
-proof of your employment in Europe;
-your marriage certificate (together with a translation into English if it was not issued in English); and
-proof of your joint residence in Europe (e.g. rental agreement with both your names, utility bills with both your names, official government documents with both your names etc.).

We advise you and your spouse to print out a copy of this advice for whenever you travel to the UK.

We hope this answers your query.

We remain at your disposal, should you require further information.

To submit another enquiry, please visit Your Europe Advice, but do not reply to this e-mail.
Did u sell your soul for a mere stack?

rosebead
Member of Standing

Post by rosebead » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:42 pm

^^ Trouble though is UK immigration officers won't have got the memo, because as far as I'm aware the Home Office as yet has not amended their policy or issued guidance to staff. Perhaps someone should make a FOI request and find out. Until the Home Office officially releases guidance to their staff, don't be surprised if you are hassled at the airport and put on the plane back.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:56 pm

They never amend when it does not favor them.

The took several years to implement Metock. Months to implement McCarthy which they interpret as favoring them.

The still have not amended Regulation 9 so as to extend the scope of free movement to all British national who have exercised treaty rights in any capacity.

daddy
Member of Standing

Post by daddy » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:48 pm

[quote="Obie"]They never amend when it does not favor them.

The took several years to implement Metock. Months to implement McCarthy which they interpret as favoring them.

The still have not amended Regulation 9 so as to extend the scope of free movement to all British national who have exercised treaty rights in any capacity.[/quote]
Hi Obie, was there any case that prompted the need for amendment of regulation 9 (recognition of Uk nationals who exercised their treaty right in ANY capacity in another EU country) which the poster said that UK has not done yet.
Please, could you tell me a little more about this case or any reference to it, if you don't mind.
Thanks, Daddy

daddy
Member of Standing

Post by daddy » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:50 pm

The still have not amended Regulation 9 so as to extend the scope of free movement to all British national who have exercised treaty rights in any capacity.[/quote]
Hi Obie, was there any case that prompted the need for amendment of regulation 9 (recognition of Uk nationals who exercised their treaty right in ANY capacity in another EU country) which the poster said that UK has not done yet.
Please, could you tell me a little more about this case or any reference to it, if you don't mind.
Thanks, Daddy

daddy
Member of Standing

Post by daddy » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:51 pm

Thanks, Daddy