ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Italian Stay Permit - extension question

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Dae
Newly Registered

Italian Stay Permit - extension question

Post by Dae » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:31 pm

Somewhere I saw mentioned that at the end of a permesso di soggiorno you can apply to remain for a further 90 days as a tourist. I have been trying to find out further information but it eludes me. I'm trying to contact people but it's proving difficult.

I'm Australian and am trying to stay in Italy with my wife while she is here completing a PhD for the next couple of years. She is not Italian, and her university helps sort out all her paperwork. Initially I paid to do a 4-month language course so I could be here and have a permesso di soggiorno, to get things started, but expires at the end of January.

On advice from the university we have also applied for a new permesso for me, for family reunion this time. The initial paperwork for this has been submitted but the interview is a week after my current permesso expires.

How do I deal with this extra week? If I have 90 extra days as a tourist I have no trouble, and just cross fingers that the family reunion goes smoothly. I have a type D visa for study, which can be renewed, but I don't want to have to pony up for a few thousand extra for another course.

How do I deal with that week before the interview?