ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Opening a Bank Account

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

yodiyokun
Member of Standing

Post by yodiyokun » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:37 pm

hi marie b,
thanks again for the update.
i was hoping that HSBC will open a basic account with a provisional license and passport without asking for utility bills.
how can I get utility bills without an apartement ....
its just goes round and round i guess.
My bow has been renewed

ShoaibJaved

Post by ShoaibJaved » Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:52 pm

in my case HSBC did not ask for any utility bills and used only my passport and provisional driving license. They have promised to upgrade my basic account as soon as i have my first salary transfered into it.

amhilde

Post by amhilde » Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:12 pm

When I got my UK bank account a number of years ago I noticed a significant difference by branches within the same bank. The Natwest in Hampstead where i lived wanted the appointment and the bills and the like, even with an employers letter in hand. The Natwest branch i eventually went with closer to work gave me the account based on the employers letter and passport I believe- but that was down in the City where there are plenty of foreign workers. Unfortunately the UK banking system is a little behind- my cards were stolen in 2001 and when I tried to get replacement ATM cards for the UK account they sent 4 cards and 3 chequebooks to my address in the US, even though I gave them my UK address AND, later, indicated that I would pick both up at the branch. They had someone in the back who received a bag of cards to be sent out to customers and MANUALLY addressed envelopes and placed the cards and the literature in the envelope to be sent out. My US cards arrived via FedEx within 3 days of contacting my US bank.

Additionally, the branch where you sign up is the branch you have to go to
if you have a problem- this may have changed, but I had to traipse down to the City branch to request a new card and chequebook and pick them up there- they could not distribute them to the branch I had been doing most of my banking at.

Just a warning- the frustrations wont end when you finally get the account

Vayu

Post by Vayu » Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:34 pm

I hope the mods don't think this is an advertisment, as it isn't. I opened my bank account through a group called 1st Contact. For 20 pounds the will help you get a Natwest account and credit card. They focus on people moving to the UK, mainly from Australia, NZ and SA, but they take anyone.

I normally wouldn't recommend someone, but given the hassle that is opening a bank account in this country, it is worth the money you pay to basically get on with your life. Obviously having a credit card helps establish your credit rating too (as well as enroling to vote!!)

These guys also help set you up with a limited company structure so as to minimise your tax if you are a contractor. That is very useful as well to get maximum earnings.

1april2014
Newly Registered

Re: Opening a Bank Account

Post by 1april2014 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:16 pm

I am a spouse of a british national.

i wanted to ask that is my Pakistani Passport and NI number enough to open a bank account in Barclays bank? do i need a DVLA?

Please respond soon. Thanks