ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Difference in Surname in passport and Bachelors degree - HSM

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

n_sharma50

Difference in Surname in passport and Bachelors degree - HSM

Post by n_sharma50 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:47 pm

All,

Thanks in advance for reading.
My passport and most documents have my name as Nxxxxn Sharma where as My B Tech degree has name Nxxxxn Kumar. I am currently on work permit and want to apply for HSMP.

1. Is this discrepency going to cause a problem in my case?
2. If yes, Is there a way I can get some official document from here or India stating that its one and same person.

Please if any one has experienced such issue or is aware of anything, do let me know.

Thanks,

Post by 1971 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:30 am

Hi Sharma,
If your passport and most documents have you name as Nxxxxn Sharma where as your B Tech degree has name Nxxxxn Kumar.

Do you have any other doc showing your full name as Nxxxxn Sharma Kumar or Nxxxxn Kumar Sharma especially your birth certificate. If you do, then you can include same doc and explain in your cover letter the reason for most docs and certificate not having same name.

n_sharma50

Post by n_sharma50 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:35 am

HI,

Unfortunatley I do not have any document showing my name as Nxxxxn Kumar Sharma. Its Nxxxxn Sharma on passport and employement letters etc. I do have one marksheet of one of my semester where my name is shown as Naveen Sharma and rest semester marksheeets have Nxxxxn Kumar.

The birth certificate will be for Nxxxxn Sharma.

Please help guys.

gordon

Post by gordon » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:13 am

n_sharma50 wrote:HI,

Unfortunatley I do not have any document showing my name as Nxxxxn Kumar Sharma. Its Nxxxxn Sharma on passport and employement letters etc. I do have one marksheet of one of my semester where my name is shown as Naveen Sharma and rest semester marksheeets have Nxxxxn Kumar.

The birth certificate will be for Nxxxxn Sharma.

Please help guys.
With no documentation (deed poll, birth or marriage certificate) showing that the names refer to the same person, then it might make more sense to get your degree certificate re-issued with your proper name, N- Sharma.

n_sharma50

Post by n_sharma50 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:09 am

With no documentation (deed poll, birth or marriage certificate) showing that the names refer to the same person, then it might make more sense to get your degree certificate re-issued with your proper name, N- Sharma.
This is not entirely true. I do have a marksheet from 7th semester where my name is Nxxxxn Shama and the registration number is same on mark sheet as well Degree certificate.

Not sure if that will be sufficient or If I get a document from India certified by local government authority saying that Nxxxxxn Sharma and Nxxxxn Kumar is same.

Please let me know

gordon

Post by gordon » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:32 am

n_sharma50 wrote:
This is not entirely true. I do have a marksheet from 7th semester where my name is Nxxxxn Shama and the registration number is same on mark sheet as well Degree certificate.

Not sure if that will be sufficient or If I get a document from India certified by local government authority saying that Nxxxxxn Sharma and Nxxxxn Kumar is same.

Please let me know
Showing documents with common registration numbers is a possibility, if you think that the caseworker would like to work through all that to evaluate the argument that the degree certificate might actually be yours, and not someone else's. But such a marksheet, however, is not the same as a document that expressly shows your name as N- S- K- (as on a birth certificate or passport), or that your name was otherwise changed from N- S- to N- K- or vice versa (deed poll). Frankly, without any official documentation of the commonality of the names to the same person, it looks as though your degree was conferred on someone else !

n_sharma50

Post by n_sharma50 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:23 am

Ok,

It seems that I wil not be able to use my degree certificate as it is. What are the options I have.

Is their any document I can get from Local district court in India certifying that Nxxxxxn Kumar and Nxxxxxxn Sharma are one and same person. WIll that be sufficient?#

Is there any letter I can get from Indian High Consulate which will suffice and confirm that this degree was indeed issued to me.

Or Do I have to get the name changed in Degree? If thats posible to do?

Please respond.

Thanks
N. Sharma

gordon

Post by gordon » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:34 am

Can you prove that NK and NS are the same person ? What documentation is there that legitimises your use of the other surname for the time that you did so ?
n_sharma50 wrote:Ok,

It seems that I wil not be able to use my degree certificate as it is. What are the options I have.

Is their any document I can get from Local district court in India certifying that Nxxxxxn Kumar and Nxxxxxxn Sharma are one and same person. WIll that be sufficient?#

Is there any letter I can get from Indian High Consulate which will suffice and confirm that this degree was indeed issued to me.

Please respond.

Thanks
N. Sharma

chicku

Post by chicku » Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:57 pm

n_sharma50 wrote:Ok,

Please respond.

Thanks
N. Sharma
You are being too lazy.. why do not you get to the university and get a CLEAN solution in form of a certidicate with the name as you want.

n_sharma50

Post by n_sharma50 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:17 am

I have my indian driving licence with the name Nxxxxxn Kumar Sharma.

I am not sure if this will be sufficient.

n_sharma50

Post by n_sharma50 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:56 am

Gordon/All,

I am really thankfull to you for all the help.

Let me just reconfirm, that If I explain in my covering letter that my degree has Name as Nxxxxn Kumar but its the same as me and they have just not printed my last name as Sharma.

Raviramakrishna
Newly Registered

Post by Raviramakrishna » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:19 am

n_sharma50,

What you can do is get a notarized copy from a lawyer stating that all the names mentioned in different documents are same. Lawyer will verify all your original documents and swear by notarized seal. Below is the wordings.

1. Nxxxxxxn Sharma
2. Nxxxxxn Kumar

I, the undersigned, Mr. XXX, (Designation of Signatory), Government of India, on the basis of subsequent verification and satisfactory evidence placed before me by the individual confirm that wherever the above mentioned names appear in all the documents / educational certificates / passport belongs to one and the same person only.

I hope this helps

Regards,
Ravi

n_sharma50

Post by n_sharma50 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:16 am

Hi Ravi,

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. Do you know if I can get this done in Indian High Consulate in london. All my documents are with me in london.