ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Stopped at immigration / refusal leave to enter

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

doubleinfinity
Newly Registered

Stopped at immigration / refusal leave to enter

Post by doubleinfinity » Sat May 10, 2014 10:38 am

Hi

This is a bit complicated, or might not. I need an advice how to go about this matter. In 2005 my parents and young sister came to visit me ( Malaysia and they are older that 55, ). They stayed for 5 months . I have to mention that i only received my resident permit in 2013 ( my husband is British citizen ) before that i was overstayer (sorry). In 2009 when my parents came again, there were stopped at immigration and refused entry. They were questioned what they were doing for 5 months they stayed before and also my illegal stay.

The letter that was given to them says that they were refused because : -
1. seeking to be in the UK for period longer than is permitted.
2. failed to give satisfactory answers to an Immigration Officers enquiry.
3. You have been detained under paragraph 16 schedule 2 to the 1971 act.

The thing is, they did have return flight ticket. So basically i can only assume that this has to be because of me as i didnt have any legal documents.

So now, i would like to know since i have legal stay, will there be a problem of them coming in?
What are they steps i should take or do to make sure they wont go through the same problem. According to my parents, their experience with the immigration officer is terrifying . They are really old now and im worried if any of this circumstances happen again.

Please advice.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Re: Stopped at immigration / refusal leave to enter

Post by Lucapooka » Sat May 10, 2014 10:42 am

No-one can offer any assurances as to that might happen to them. However, anyone who has previously been refused entry on arrival would be well advised to (simply and cheaply) make an application for a visit visa before they travel to the UK. This will remove any doubt or concerns they may have about their treatment when they arrive in the UK,

doubleinfinity
Newly Registered

Post by doubleinfinity » Sat May 10, 2014 12:12 pm

Malaysian passport holders do not require a visa for the UK if their purpose of visit is for leisure, tourism, or visiting friends and family. Malaysians can get up to 6 months entry upon arrival to the UK for the above purposes without a visa.

Lucapooka wrote:No-one can offer any assurances as to that might happen to them. However, anyone who has previously been refused entry on arrival would be well advised to (simply and cheaply) make an application for a visit visa before they travel to the UK. This will remove any doubt or concerns they may have about their treatment when they arrive in the UK,

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat May 10, 2014 1:42 pm

Yes, but with the previous refusal it would unwise to travel without an pre-approved visitor visa. Lucapooka has given you good advice.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

toofan
Member of Standing

Post by toofan » Sat May 10, 2014 5:26 pm

Casa wrote:Yes, but with the previous refusal it would unwise to travel without an pre-approved visitor visa. Lucapooka has given you good advice.

even a valid visa does not guarantee entry clearance .
even with a valid visa it depends on immigration officer to give entry.
You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it.
<<<<<<<TOOFAN>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Sat May 10, 2014 8:52 pm

But that's a different issue entirely and unnecessarily pessimistic. If a visa is granted in Malaysia there would have to be very strong evidence of changes in the circumstances or intentions of the passenger for the admitting officer to refuse entry. To say that such things are rare would be an understatement.

doubleinfinity
Newly Registered

Post by doubleinfinity » Mon May 12, 2014 5:21 pm

Thank you, you were right about applying visa clearance. If refused it is advised to apply for this visa. Its a loong form to fill in with soo much details.

Does anyone here have such experience and were able to get in without any problems.

Thanks

Lucapooka wrote:But that's a different issue entirely and unnecessarily pessimistic. If a visa is granted in Malaysia there would have to be very strong evidence of changes in the circumstances or intentions of the passenger for the admitting officer to refuse entry. To say that such things are rare would be an understatement.

DearEleanor83
Newly Registered

Post by DearEleanor83 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:24 am

Hi there,

I myself a Malaysian, planning to visit UK too, sometime in March 2015. Really worried too when i read gov.uk website. Should I be filling up form? Because i will be meeting my boyfriend. i think its VAF14B form i need to fill in.

Please check that website for more references dear. Super detail, but worth to go through!