ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

In love and unsure on which route to take for gf visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

mp34ever
Newly Registered

In love and unsure on which route to take for gf visa

Post by mp34ever » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:25 pm

I am a UK resident from birth, I own my own property, I am financially stable and have a good career, I have been in a relationship with a Brazilian girl for 3 months, we have been living together for the past week, she is here on a visitor visa which expires at the start of April 2015. We are very much in love and both are worried about what will happen in April, one thing that is clear is that we want to both follow the process, she wants to be able to visit her family back home in brazil without any problem, and we are preparing that she will go back to Brazil in April (hopefully for a few weeks only) I don’t feel ready for marriage yet, although I understand this would help greatly. She had a visitor visa previously in August 2012, I understand the rules were changed a month before to say that partners must live together for a minimum of 2 years to 5 years before they can apply to settle in the UK.

At 3 months together it is probably a little too soon to apply to settle in the UK forever, ideally I would like her to visit her family for a few weeks in April and return to the UK for a further 6 months to live with me to see how we get on together.

She is a degree educated English teacher and loves English culture and really wants to make a life for herself here in the uk with me.

What would be the most hassle free way for her to stay here? I think I would like to marry her but I don’t want to rush anything just because of the visa situation.

Thanks in advance

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: In love and unsure on which route to take for gf visa

Post by Wanderer » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:34 pm

You can't live here on a visit visa even for 6 months as you would not pass the genuine visitor test.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Casa

Re: In love and unsure on which route to take for gf visa

Post by Casa » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:41 pm

There is no 'girlfriend and boyfriend' visa and a visitor is not permitted to spend longer in the UK within a 12 month period than they spend in their normal country of residence. Therefore a brief visit to parents before returning to the UK won't work.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.