ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

funny request by maltese embassy

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

bach48
Newly Registered

funny request by maltese embassy

Post by bach48 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:46 pm

hi can some one shed some light here please :
iam british citizen married to algerian in tunisia legal marriage we got a british 1 year child .
try it to applay last monday for malta visa (week holiday) for my wife in tunis as eu wife . but the maltese embassy told us we have to register our marriage in eu first or in the british embassy ,
gone to the british embassy today and told no such thing .
here what i submit or try it to submit to maltese emabssy :
my british passport
my son british passport
my wife algerian passport , id car, resident tunisian card , travel inssurance, air ticket, exchange fund receipt, tunisian marriage certificat , my child british birth cert wich show the mother name on it , my u.k employment cert, my bank stat ect...
are the maltsee wrong here ????
as while you in the embassy you cannot reason with them . there seem more intrested where the marriage took place and not intrested in any eu rights or internet law paper i try it to show them .

ban.s

Re: funny request by maltese embassy

Post by ban.s » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:39 am

what exactly you mean by tunisian legal marriage? was it a religious wedding or marriage at a municipality through proper paperworks e.g. translation of birth certificate, CONI, medical certificate/blood test etc?
if your marriage wasnt though municipal route then it may not be recognised to Uk/ european authorities for visa.

bach48
Newly Registered

Post by bach48 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:53 am

the marriage is legal in tunisia via municipal blood tests ect... the maltese there not arguing the legality of the marriage but asking for the marriage cert to be registered in u.k while the uk dont register foreign marriages, and told me if valid in tunisia is valid in u.k
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... rming_that

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:49 am

are you applying from tunisia or algeria?

if you are applying from tunisia then they should accept the national document

if you are applying from algeria then you may need to get it apostilled (?). it seems Tunisia has recently signed the Hague convention. If it is not not yet fully fully operational, they you may need to get the document legalised.

bach48
Newly Registered

Post by bach48 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:05 am

applying from tunisia
is national gov documents . what malta embassy asking for is to register the tunisian cert in u.k register wich in the u.k no such thing.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:17 am

sounds very odd request to me......

did they confirm you in writing what exactly they require? or mentioned verbally?

bach48
Newly Registered

Post by bach48 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:36 am

they verbally (dont want to hand me any in written ) said to applay as eu wife the marriage must took place in eu or registered in eu.
i argued that we cannot register foreign marriages in u.k but not intrested .

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:43 am

they are definitely wrong. please ask them to either confirm you in writing or esclate to higher authorities in the maltese embassy or malta foreign office

bach48
Newly Registered

Post by bach48 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:28 am

received reply from the maltese embassy :
Mr. xxxxxx,

Note has been taken of your email regarding the visa application of your spouse Mrs. xxxxxx.

Please note that the Maltese authorities request a copy of the marriage certificate in Tunisia to be legalized at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Tunisia and counter legalized at the British Embassy in Tunis.

Prior submitting the visa application of xxxxxxxx, you are kindly requested to contact the Embassy in order to schedule a visa appointment.

Thanks & Regards,

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:17 pm

ok, so they are not expecting the marriage to be registered in EU but rather legalisation of the marriage certificate which is a separate thing.

though it's unusual to ask as you are applying from Tunisia using a Tunis public document but as i mentioned in my earlier post, it's better to get the document legalised anyway - it will be extremely helpful if you need to use the document outside Tunisia.

bach48
Newly Registered

Post by bach48 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:29 pm

yes there staff at the embassy who confused me .

jaweb
Member of Standing

Post by jaweb » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:36 pm

Hi

I am married to an Algerian citizen too however at the moment I am Hungarian but on 26 February I will do the ceremony.
I did need to register our marriage in my embassy too. Dont you have another citizenship?
In Europe they do ask couples to register their marriage with North African citizen. I think that's why Malta asked the same