ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU Family Member visiting Ireland alone

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

jcmb
Newly Registered

EU Family Member visiting Ireland alone

Post by jcmb » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:38 am

Hello,

I've searched online and on some boards without any real answer to this question and only some vague recommendations.

I'm a non-EU citizen married to an EU citizen (Italy). I have my "Family Member of EU Citizen" residence card from Germany for 5 years and currently also living & working in Germany.

Do I need a visa if I wish to go to Ireland by myself (spouse not accompanying me)?

Thanks for the help!

jeupsy

Re: EU Family Member visiting Ireland alone

Post by jeupsy » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:59 am

Yes if you are traveling without your EU family member you need a visa. If your spouse is traveling with you, no visa is required.

CalvinKlien
Mood:
Ireland

Post by CalvinKlien » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:15 pm

I will also advise to contact the Irish Embassy / Consulate in Germany before coming to Ireland - This is the last thing would you like to deal with Immigration at Irish port do not allow you entry. So check with them officially.

jcmb
Newly Registered

Post by jcmb » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:04 am

I asked the Irish embassy in Berlin and got the following answer by email:
Dear Mr xxxx,

if you hold a biometric "residence card of a family member of a union citizen" (this wording should appear at the bottom of the card) referring to FreizügG/EU under "Anmerkungen" you may travel to Ireland without having to obtain a visa. This also applies if you are travelling without your spouse.

Please note, however, that the paper version of this residence card will not be accepted. In this case you will either have to have it replaced by the electronic plastic card OR apply for an Irish visa.
So travelling without my spouse is also allowed and no visa needed according to them.

Why the contradiction on information? This was the main reason I asked, since somewhere I've read it's OK to travel alone, someplace else I read it's not allowed without the spouse.

Thanks for the help btw!

jeupsy

Post by jeupsy » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:32 am

OK this is interesting, if correct it would mean Ireland is going beyond the requirements of the EU directive.

I haven't seem this anywhere before, but I guess the Irish embassy should be in a position to give an authoritative answer.

I guess you would have done that anyway, but I strongly suggest that if you do go without a visa you bring with you a copy of the email - and it would be better if it did show the name of the diplomatic staff.