ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is notary affidavit reqd. for PIO to OCI?

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

quantumscience

Is notary affidavit reqd. for PIO to OCI?

Post by quantumscience » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:42 pm

Hi All

I am thinking of getting the OCI card for me+ wife + daughter. We all hold PIO cards currently.

I am in double minds now whether to go for this OCI card at all, since the PIO cards are deemed to be OCI anyway.

Also the other factor that is not clear to me is that apparently the wordings in the HCI web site suggest that i need to get a Notary affidavit for my daughter:

"Applicants who were born in India and never held Indian passport and traveled on parents Indian Passports, are required to submit a notary affidavit in original from UK stating the fact and how they traveled to UK."

Now my question is whether I need to get this affidavit at all?
Does anybody know?

My daughter was born British, and born in India.
She never applied for an Indian passport, but we got her British passport when she was born in India, and got an "exit permit" (stamped in her British passport) in order to exit India and come to UK.

Now given that she did not travel on her parent's passport, can i assume I won't need to get that affidavit done (going strictly by the words in the quote from HCI)?

If it has to be done, then I suppose its quite a chunk of money to spend (and effort and time too with HCI application process), and I will be inclined to not convert our PIO cards to OCI.

If I don't have to get that affidavit, then what documents are needed in lieu of the surrender certificate - since she never had an Indian passport at all? (The HCI web page on OCI is not clear about this situation).

Thanks.

rajesh9pl
Mood:

Re: Is notary affidavit reqd. for PIO to OCI?

Post by rajesh9pl » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:15 pm

I personally think you don't need notary affidavit.

Your daughter will apply OCI based on parents:
v) Minor children holding foreign nationality and whose both parents are citizens of India or one of the parents is a citizen of India or both or one parents are OCI card holder, are eligible for OCI Card.

and documents:
(b) For a person born abroad (applying on the basis of their parents/grand parents’ Indian origin):
A copy of their full version birth certificate/marriage certificate along with the Indian origin proof of their parents/grandparents must be furnished by the applicants to prove their link with them. The list of documents in the section “Supporting Documents” may please be checked for this purpose.