ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

when partner dies

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

idilkachore
Newly Registered

when partner dies

Post by idilkachore » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:33 pm

Hi

My dad died recently in Pakistan, leaving her new wife (my stepmother, Pakistani national) alone in Pakistan. She has a Spouse Visa but has yet to travel to UK. He has never been to UK before. Now that my dad, her husband and her sponsor has died, is she still entitled to travel to UK on her existing Spouse Visa? Bearing in mind that she has no-one to support her in UK since her husband has died.

Regards

Obie
Ireland

Re: when partner dies

Post by Obie » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:09 am

She would have qualified under E-BPILR if she was in the UK, and was last granted leave to enter as the spouse or partner of a settled person, but as she has never entered, i don't believe this option is open.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

idilkachore
Newly Registered

Post by idilkachore » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:02 pm

Would immigration control stop her at the airport if she decides decides to book a flight and travel? Or do I need to contact an immigration control officer? What do I need to do to make sure she doesn't get entry to UK?

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:29 pm

If the Immigration Officer knew that her circumstances and purpose has changed, then she may be refused entry.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

idilkachore
Newly Registered

Post by idilkachore » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:47 am

How do I make sure that immigration officer is aware that my stepmother's husband has died and she is not entitled to enter UK?

idilkachore
Newly Registered

Post by idilkachore » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:18 pm

Hi

I've been informed my stepmother has entry clearance Spouse visa. What does that mean? Can she still travel even though her husband is deceased.

Thanks

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:52 am

idilkachore wrote:Hi

I've been informed my stepmother has entry clearance Spouse visa. What does that mean? Can she still travel even though her husband is deceased.

Thanks
I thought you wanted her to come to the UK. Now its seems to me that your motive is the opposite.

Why are you eager for her to be refused entry into the UK.

Zee ali
Diamond Member

Post by Zee ali » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:24 am

idilkachore wrote:Hi

Thanks
Leave her alone

She has nothing to do with u.

Remember: what goes around comes around.
I am not an immigration adviser
Any views expressed are my own opinion and should not be considered as legal advice
No liability is accepted for the content and for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided

Casa

Post by Casa » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:59 am

There is a valid point here. The step-daughter has said that she isn't in a position to support her financially. In which case who will?
She won't be able to claim Public Funds. Why would she want to settle here now that her new husband has passed away and apart from the step-daughter she doesn't appear to have any family here. If I was in the step-daughter's position to be honest, I would be concerned too. If the step-mother is permitted to enter and settle, the daughter-in-law may feel duty bound to support her and is probably someone she has never even met!
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

idilkachore
Newly Registered

Post by idilkachore » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:55 pm

Thanks for the information. I really appreciate all the information I'm getting from you.

I sent an email to home office informing them of changes in circumstances. I also said that her visa no longer meets any of the original conditions of spouse visa and therefore her visa should be revoked.

Also I said that I would not be supporting her by any means.

My stepmother's behaviour is totally foul towards us siblings. All of us are older than her.

I wish my dad did not get married.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:23 pm

I don't see anything valid in regards to this OP opening this thread.

He/she seem to have a vindictive motive. My only regret is having contributed.

You were not the sponsor of her visa, neither did you make an undertaking, why her coming to the UK is of concern to you, is simply beyond me.

If you don't want her in your home, there is nothing in law, that required you to accommodate her.

If you father decided to fall in love with someone significantly older than you, i see nothing wrong with that, provided your dad is happy.

If she brought happiness to your dad before her died, you should be happy she did, rather than this determination to destroy her, which you are embarking on.

Mauser1905
Member of Standing

Post by Mauser1905 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:23 am

I may be wrong by miles, but my instinct says this is about inheritance/post death property/estate distribution. So in the name of visa reasons there maybe attempt to keep the father's new wife away physically so she can not claim on her late husband's estate (in the UK)!

Such a shame if the demised soul hasn't made written will.

idilkachore
Newly Registered

Post by idilkachore » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:22 pm

Thanks for replies.

I can only disclose limited personal information as I'm sure you would understand.

My dad did not spend good time with her. He spent couple of months in hospital and she was not on his bedside even though she was living close to the hospital. We had to fly over to look after our dad. He was admitted to private hospital and we paid tens of thousands of pounds in hospital fees. She didn't pay a penny.

She has been using foul language and her brother went physical with my brother.

There's no reason why after all that we should support her in anyway.

As for inheritance, the estate is hers and she can claim it while she is in Pakistan legally .

regards