ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

I.L.R what next after this

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

patman1

I.L.R what next after this

Post by patman1 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:28 pm

Hi
Can someone please tell me once my I.L.R has been granted what my next option is? i am not sure of citizenship or naturalization? i am an american citizen and don't wish to give up my passport but i have an ill father in the U.S.A and was wanting to go and visit him after my I.L.R has been granted as i have not left the U.K for over three years, BUT i don't want the hassle of all the questions when i come back to as or why i have been away for up to six months, is there another way i can do so when i go there and return back i don't have the worry of all the questions of why have you been away for some long? where is your partner? etc
any advice on the next steps would be great
thanks all :)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: I.L.R what next after this

Post by CR001 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:49 pm

You are free to travel once you have ILR. You should not have any problems re-entering the UK.

ILR is lost if you are absent for 2 or more years.

Next step after ILR is naturalisation as British Citizen. You have to have ILR for a full 12 months and 5 years residency before you can apply for citizenship, unless you are married to a British Citizen and have 3 years residence and ILR, provided you meet the requirements and are within the absence limits.

USA allows dual nationality.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: I.L.R what next after this

Post by Wanderer » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:43 pm

Also USA taxes you on all income inc worldwide, you might consider giving it up, I know lots who have...
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....