ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Important Question about Tenancy Agreement

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Ted14
Newly Registered

Important Question about Tenancy Agreement

Post by Ted14 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:48 am

Hi,

My question is very straightforward...! What will happen if I flout the rules of my tenancy agreement?

Actually, I am a good citizen but I have to leave the country for a year on a short notice. I have nearly completed a year of my tenancy agreement but I just don't have time to give 2 months notice and even if I do, I am sure my landlord wouldn't give me my deposit back. Since I am leaving the country in a month time, I wouldn't be able to chase him for my deposit. My plan is to live in the property until the mid of that last month without paying him rent and then send him a text on my last day saying that half the deposit is for 15 days rent and half should go to any repair that he might want to do. I have kept the property very tidy and to a decent standard.

Am I going to risk damaging my credit history by doing so or the landlord can go to court in extreme circumstances??

Thanks,

deathgaze1
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Re: Important Question about Tenancy Agreement

Post by deathgaze1 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:34 pm

Would Not recommend this. Its best to discuss it with landlord and reach a compromise. It is highly likely that the landlord will take you to court.

Below Quote from Citizens Advice:
What happens if the tenant leaves without giving proper notice?

If you leave without giving proper notice, your landlord may be entitled to charge rent up to the date when notice should have expired, or up to the end of the tenancy agreement if it is a fixed term agreement and you did not give any notice at all.

The help of an experienced adviser is almost certain to be needed if there is a dispute about rent arrears in this situation, for example, at a Citizens Advice Bureau. To search for details of your nearest CAB, including those that can give advice by email, click on nearest CAB.

Ted14
Newly Registered

Post by Ted14 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:39 pm

Thanks deathgaze1.

I have a cut off date which means I will be leaving the country on that date. If my landlord come to know that I wouldn't be around to chase him, do you think he will be polite in all dealings and will return my deposit even if I hand over the property in good shape?

More comments on this topic are welcomed.

Mauser1905
Member of Standing

Post by Mauser1905 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:03 am

Ted14 wrote:Thanks deathgaze1.

I have a cut off date which means I will be leaving the country on that date. If my landlord come to know that I wouldn't be around to chase him, do you think he will be polite in all dealings and will return my deposit even if I hand over the property in good shape?

More comments on this topic are welcomed.
Better to be honest up front and save lots of hassles and embarrassment later. Doesn't mean you have to expose your weak point but open up enough to negotiate.

You may be able to get deposit back also, you have to take chance, only then you will know it was good or bad.

Running away as you mentioned will only agonise the landlord and this only might push him to take you to courts and damage your credit rating for next 5 years! For a moment think if you were the landlord in this situation and your tenant made a runner how would you react!!

Good luck.

Ted14
Newly Registered

Post by Ted14 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:46 pm

Thanks for the good advice Mauser1905.

I am now thinking along those lines raised by you and deathgaze1 in your posts.

Cheers,