ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Inviting parents but staying in Studio Flat

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

staltimm
Newly Registered

Inviting parents but staying in Studio Flat

Post by staltimm » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:42 pm

Hi

I got my ILR in June 2014. I have a full time job and am studying Masters part-time. I have my graduation ceremony in July 2015 for which I would like to invite my parents.

My question is, will the fact that I am staying in a Studio flat be a problem? The studio I rent itself is large and is in a lovely area. As my parents intend to visit only for 2 months and my current rental contract doesn't expire till August 2015, I am not keen on vacating and moving to a 2 bed flat. But I am worried that my parents' visa may be rejected based on the fact that 3 adults cannot stay in a studio flat. Please could someone advise what can be done?

Just to add, my financials in the UK as well as my parent's financials in India are sound enough to not cause any concern.

secret.simon

Re: Inviting parents but staying in Studio Flat

Post by secret.simon » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:17 pm

Exactly the same situation here last year (even down to the part-time Masters).

I spoke to the landlord who had a fit as that may cause issues for them. So, I booked them into a Travelodge closeby. Somebody else I know had looked into booking them into the Indian YMCA in London as Indian food is included with the rent.

On the other hand, have a look at Part X of the Housing Act 1985, especially Section 329.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1985/68/part/X

staltimm
Newly Registered

Re: Inviting parents but staying in Studio Flat

Post by staltimm » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:48 pm

Hi secret.simon

Thank you so much for your reply. If I am reading sec 329 correctly, so long as I can prove that they are sleeping there temporarily only, it won't cause an offence. Am I interpreting it right

of course I realise I do have to speak with my landlord and get their permission. My studio is really large and I could actually put up a temporary divider and make it into two rooms if need be.

Thanks