ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Lessons Learned from Mistakes

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

c0ntract0r
Newly Registered

Lessons Learned from Mistakes

Post by c0ntract0r » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:45 am

Here's my situation

1. Came to UK in Dec 2010 on Tier2 ICT
2. Changed to Tier1 General in June 2011 ( got 2 years initially)
3. Extended Tier 1 General for further 3 years so valid till June 2016 now.

1. Worked as a full time employee from Dec 2010 to Dec 2013
2. Working as a contractor from Dec 2013.

I will be eligible for ILR in June 2016 so now that I have 15 months remaining before my application I wanted everyone's help to try and avoid foolish mistakes and not be caught out at the last moment.

can you please recommend some actions that I need to take during these 15 months so that my application goes as smoothly as possible or share your experiences with UKBA if they refused/tried to refuse your application for any reason so that I can avoid such scenario.

Really appreciate everyone who contributes to these forums ! Thanks for helping people like me.

Tier1G09
Member of Standing
India

Re: Lessons Learned from Mistakes

Post by Tier1G09 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:16 pm

My advice will be to keep all your documents such as bank statements, self assessments for your record.

Also if any dependent is applying with you then put their name on your various utility bills so that you have enough documents to proof cohabitation.

c0ntract0r
Newly Registered

Post by c0ntract0r » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:21 pm

Tier1G09 wrote:My advice will be to keep all your documents such as bank statements, self assessments for your record.

Also if any dependent is applying with you then put their name on your various utility bills so that you have enough documents to proof cohabitation.
Thanks Tier1G09 , I didn't know about the cohabitation documents, I will get this done asap.
Any other things I should be aware of ? is there any previous post where I can see all these requirements mentioned ?

Really appreciate all the help.

stupidimmigrant

Post by stupidimmigrant » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:19 am

Learning from an issue encountered by my friend, set a reminder in your calendar or phone to maintain the required balance in your account which you will produce bank statements of if you do not already keep money in the same account. Many people say it's not a requirement for ILR but I did it anyway.

Also, check if your accountant is CIMA, ACCA etc certified or not. They need letter from a qualified accountant with these certifications.

Make sure the days you were out of UK match up, sometimes ink in passport immigration stamp faded, so keep a note of all date you were out of UK before you forget it. Also, check with your previous employers if they can provide a letter to you about you were out for business, if any.

Make sure to study and pass Life in the UK test as early on as possible, This will give you some time to book another test if you /dependent fails. Do not keep it until last minute.

Hope this helps.

rakeysh.patel
Diamond Member

Post by rakeysh.patel » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:05 am

just to add to whats already been said -

Make sure you set yourself to get paper statements from your bank for last year
if you are applying jointly, ensure you have cohabitation proof
and finally - try to stay on the right side of the law - I know not many break the law knowingly but being extra vigilant helps - avoid traffic violation which is within your control

May the force be with you in 2016 :-)
An [Expensive] Immigrant journey has ended 19/08/2015. Good luck to you all out there...