ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ak1031
Newly Registered

Re: Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Post by ak1031 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:42 pm

manimaran wrote:Hi ak1031,

Could you please let us know if you went alone or with your family to apply for OCI ?

Thanks,
Mani
Hi manimaran,

Only I had gone to apply. Though my wife had signed an authorisation letter, they didnt need it.

manimaran

Post by manimaran » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:54 pm

ak1031 wrote:
manimaran wrote:Hi ak1031,

Could you please let us know if you went alone or with your family to apply for OCI ?

Thanks,
Mani
Hi manimaran,

Only I had gone to apply. Though my wife had signed an authorisation letter, they didnt need it.

Hi ak1031,

Thank you very much.
Also Thank you very much for the detailed explanation of your OCI submission. It's gives enough guidance for my OCI submission.

Cheers,
Mani

varunadas
Newly Registered

Post by varunadas » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:03 pm

ak1031,

I think they did not make it very clear to you. You will still need to submit your passports for attaching the U sticker when processing of OCI application is completed and the card is ready. At that time they will use your envelope for returning your passport.

The charge their courier uses is high as really you it is very rare for Royal Mail Special Delivery to get lost. Also VFS is forcing people to supply envelopes for each passport whereas HCI will take one envelope for the family application. HCI was processing at almost 10-20 minutes per family application as if you submit your surrender certificate there is not much to check. In fact I feel they should start combining surrender of Indian passport and OCI application together as there will be very few people who will not take OCI unless they are really fed up India :)

rmistry
Newly Registered

Post by rmistry » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:33 am

varunadas, ak1031

I read that U sticker was no longer required, so you no longer need to resend your foreign passport to VFS / HCI ?

http://www.indiacgny.org/pdf/MHA_Circular_U.pdf
http://www.cgihouston.org/notice/display/126

spui
Newly Registered

Post by spui » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:30 pm

rmistry wrote:varunadas, ak1031

I read that U sticker was no longer required, so you no longer need to resend your foreign passport to VFS / HCI ?

http://www.indiacgny.org/pdf/MHA_Circular_U.pdf
http://www.cgihouston.org/notice/display/126
I just checked the London HCI page which seems to have been updated fairly recently. It does say that we need to send the passports to the HCI.

https://www.hcilondon.in/pages.php?id=37

I had submitted my application with the HCI and not VFS.

Checking the VFS site, it mentions the same thing.
http://in.vfsglobal.co.uk/OCI.html

Maybe they just want to ensure that the identity of the person making the application(since I just needed a copy of the passport to make the application by post) or maybe I am from the last group of people who get the U visa on the passport.

emuser

Post by emuser » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:26 pm

Application made in Person to HCI London(1 Adult) : 30 Jan 2015
Received by HCI : 30 Jan 2015
Originals verified and returned : 30 Jan 2015
Date Of Acknowledgement (on website) : 06 Feb 2015
Registration Status at Mission : London
Documents Printing Status : PROCESSED on 27-FEB-2015
Dispatched From MOIA (OCI) NEW DELHI On : 02 Mar 2015
Document received At LONDON On : 04 Mar 15
Passport sent to LONDON Via Royal mail SD : Awaiting
Passport Received by HCI LONDON : Awaiting
OCI stamped passport received : Awaiting

tier1check

Post by tier1check » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:06 am

Hi,

I today went to Goswell road and below is my experience.

Few key things
1. They are now quite strict and not letting people in without appointment for OCI
2. Process seems bit more changed and they are keeping originals. See below list for more details.
3. Credit card they charge additional surcharge of ~2%. so pls ensure you have debit card.

Below is list of documents I submitted. I have split details to make it explicit. Application form Part B is common.

Main Applicant
1. Application form
2. Copy of Passport. Need to show original. But they don't keep it
3. Original and copy of Naturalisation Certificate
4. Original and copy of Surrender Certificate
5. Self addressed Special delivery envelope

Spouse
1. Application form
5. Self addressed Special delivery envelope

Child
1. Application form
5. Original and copy of Birth Certificate
6. Self addressed Special delivery envelope

I told them that I will collect my OCI in person from VFS & also monitor progress on website directly. So no additional surcharge.
Special delivery envelope above are for getting originals back.

They also ask you to sign two additional form regarding documents you have submitted.

In all process was smooth and lady explained why process is changed ( effectively VFS is third party and HCI would like to see original on their own). I reached there around 8:30 & finished around 9:30.

Vensai

Post by Vensai » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:25 pm

smlink3din wrote:Final Update
smlink3din wrote: Application made in Person to HCI Birmingham(2 Adults) : 23 Dec 2014
Received by HCI : 23 Dec 2014
Originals verified and returned : 23 Dec 2014
Date Of Acknowledgement (on website) : 23 Dec 2014
Registration Status at Mission : BIRMINGHAM
Documents Printing Status : PROCESSED On 10-FEB-2015
Dispatched From MOIA (OCI) NEW DELHI On : 11-FEB-2015
Document received At BIRMINGHAM On : 17-FEB-2015
Passport sent to BIRMINGHAM Via Royal mail SD : 17-FEB-2015
Passport Received by HCI BIRMINGHAM : 18-FEB-2015
OCI stamped passport received : 28-FEB-2015

Maybe a silly question. Does the below status appear in the OCI status page? I have sent my passports for stamp and waiting for a response. Sent like 3 days back.

Passport Received by HCI BIRMINGHAM
OCI stamped passport received

srinees
Newly Registered

Post by srinees » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:31 pm

This is on behalf of my friend.

He has applied for OCI in HCI London by Post for his family (2 adults, 1 child). Current status is "Dispatched from MOIA (OCI)"

For the OCI Card stamping, can he use one single envelope to send all 3 passports and one single selfaddressed return evelope to get them back?

Or will he need to use separate envelope to send each passport and separate envelopes to get them back?

dks100

Post by dks100 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:02 pm

Status Update
Registration Mission : Birmingham
Application Method to HCI :Post
Application made On : 12-01-2015 (2A + 1C)
Application Received by HCI On : 13-01-2015 (RM Tracking)
Date Of Acknowledgement (on website) : 20-01-2015
Original Documents Received On : 22-01-2015
Documents Printing Status/Processed On :26-02-2015
[/color]Dispatched From MOIA (OCI ) New Delhi On :27-02-2015
OCI Documents Received at HCI On : 02-03-2015
Passport Sent to HCI On : 05-03-2015
Passport Received by HCI On :
OCI Stamped Passport Received On :
DKS

Newly Registered

Post by 120813 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:38 pm

Updated:

Please find below OCI time lines for my application (1 adult)

Registration Mission : London
Application Method to HCI : In Person
Application made On : 03-02-2015
Date Of Acknowledgement (on website) : 03-02-2015
Documents Printing Status : PROCESSED on 25/02/2015
Dispatched From MOIA (OCI ) NEW DELHI On : 26/02/2015
OCI Document received At HCI On : 02/03/2015
Passport sent Via Royal mail On : 02/03/2015
Passport Received by HCI On : 03/03/2015
OCI stamped passports received On : 06/03/2015

tier1ilr2013
Newly Registered

Post by tier1ilr2013 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:09 pm

Dont understand why Birmingham OCI process is always late :!: :!: where as HCI is very quick turnaround.
Still waiting for my passport to come back with OCI card.

Application Method to CGI : In Person
Application made On : 15-01-2015
Date Of Acknowledgement (on website) : 15-01-2015
Documents Printing Status : PROCESSED on 20/02/2015
Dispatched From MOIA (OCI ) NEW DELHI On : 23/02/2015
OCI Document received At CGI On : 26/02/2015
Passport sent Via Royal mail On : 26/02/2015
Passport Received by CGI On : 27/02/2015
OCI stamped passports received On : :(

gbhsmp

Post by gbhsmp » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:41 am

tier1ilr2013 wrote:Dont understand why Birmingham OCI process is always late :!: :!: where as HCI is very quick turnaround.
Still waiting for my passport to come back with OCI card.

Application Method to CGI : In Person
Application made On : 15-01-2015
Date Of Acknowledgement (on website) : 15-01-2015
Documents Printing Status : PROCESSED on 20/02/2015
Dispatched From MOIA (OCI ) NEW DELHI On : 23/02/2015
OCI Document received At CGI On : 26/02/2015
Passport sent Via Royal mail On : 26/02/2015
Passport Received by CGI On : 27/02/2015
OCI stamped passports received On : :(
I too had sent the PPT on the same date. Waiting for them to return the passports.
I am too puzzled why birmingham is slow whereas in london the turnaround is literally 2 days 90% of the time.

dks100

Post by dks100 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:13 pm

Status Update
Application Method to HCI : Post
Application made On : 12-01-2015 (2A + 1C)
Application Received by HCI On : 13-01-2015 (RM Tracking)
Date Of Acknowledgement (on website) : 20-01-2015
Original Documents Received On : 22-01-2015
Documents Printing Status/Processed On : 26-02-2015
Dispatched From MOIA (OCI ) New Delhi On : 27-02-2015
OCI Documents Received at HCI On : 02-03-2015
Passport Sent to HCI On : 05-03-2015
Passport Received by HCI On : 09-03-2015
OCI Stamped Passport Received On :
Last edited by dks100 on Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DKS

dks100

Post by dks100 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:28 pm

srinees wrote:This is on behalf of my friend.

He has applied for OCI in HCI London by Post for his family (2 adults, 1 child). Current status is "Dispatched from MOIA (OCI)"

For the OCI Card stamping, can he use one single envelope to send all 3 passports and one single selfaddressed return evelope to get them back?

Or will he need to use separate envelope to send each passport and separate envelopes to get them back?
Hi,

Sending Single envelope for all 3 passports and one single self addressed return envelope is fine. I did the same for mine.
DKS

varunadas
Newly Registered

Post by varunadas » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:41 am

I had been to VFS yesterday for submitting the application, however they refused to take it as I had printed the form on both sides (be a little green). Given it was a family application, it did not matter as they will be processsed together. Bizarrely they want to keep my application, my wife's and child's application separately with their individual documents.

In addition they need a copy of Naturalisation certificate together with original, and also my son's birth certificate to establish that he is my son. When confronted that the surrender certificate provides the same information and his birth certificate was used to register him (he was born in UK) and also his passport they seem to have no answer. They changed their stance to saying that HCI wants it. Even for naturalisation certificate there is no basis for asking that in original when I am providing my British passport which could not have been possible without naturalisation.

So all in all, our Sarkari babus are completely useless in drafting rules and proccesses taking a blanket approach when submitting documents when all these have been received by them in the earlier steps of getting OCI. I even do not understand why they cannot merge surrender of Indian passport with OCI application as almost everybody ends up taking OCI after surrendering the passport.

VFS are also bit cheeky in putting a poster of adding 1.98% for credit card transactions when there is no such mention on their website. Their website simply says Amex not accepted. They use this as a bait for getting the surcharge as most applicants would not have the debit card with them or not enough cash in their current account.

I just feel this whole outsourcing business only helps for people who would get an application in their city when postal application was the only way earlier. For people like me who stay in London, it is an unnecessary surcharge on top.

Can we not simply collect the original documents back in person when the OCI cards are ready as I do not prefer to get them sent ?

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:58 am

varunadas wrote:
In addition they need a copy of Naturalisation certificate together with original, and also my son's birth certificate to establish that he is my son. When confronted that the surrender certificate provides the same information and his birth certificate was used to register him (he was born in UK) and also his passport they seem to have no answer. They changed their stance to saying that HCI wants it. Even for naturalisation certificate there is no basis for asking that in original when I am providing my British passport which could not have been possible without naturalisation.

Passport is a mere travel document and could have been obtained through fraudulent means. Naturalisation certificate is a mandatory document to prove nationality status in these circumstances. Please don't underestimate the importance and need of this document.
Same goes for the birth certificate. Parent child relationship on the basis of surrender certificate has no relevance, unfortunately.

So all in all, our Sarkari babus are completely useless in drafting rules and proccesses taking a blanket approach when submitting documents when all these have been received by them in the earlier steps of getting OCI. I even do not understand why they cannot merge surrender of Indian passport with OCI application as almost everybody ends up taking OCI after surrendering the passport.

Passport surrender and OCI/Visa are managed by two separate departments and are very different applications. Not everyone will go for a passport surrender and OCI/Visa at the same time even though it's a pre requisite. Infact, I raised this point to HCI officials in one of my meetings with them last year. Merging passport surrender and visa application means visa application/OCI team will need to hold and hang onto documents including passports for an indefinite period until the surrender application is processed. This will not only impact their internal targets but may risk documents being misplaced by these processes.

varunadas
Newly Registered

Post by varunadas » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:31 am

I agree passport is a travel document and could have been obtained by fraudulent means. However given the fact they accepted my British passport as a valid document which could have only been obtained by presenting Naturalisation certificate should help. I had also submitted the Naturalisation certificate at the time of surrender of Indian passport so at least HCI should have trust in the certificate they issue.

The surrender certificate mentions me as my son's father so clearly that should help in establishing the linkage. This relationship was also established when I registered my son with HCI before applying for his passport at HCI. At that time too, I presented my son's birth certificate in original.

My suggestion is to streamline processes to ensure that we are not verifying the same documents multiple times by the same entity. This will improve turnaround times by focussing on additional information requirement for issuing the particular certificate/document.

In UK, when I apply for a driving license I merely need to provide my passport number who will verify all my details from the passport agency. This makes the process almost automated rather than asking all documents presented at time of applying for passport.

Surrender application process is pretty quick and general turnaround is 3 working days. I do not know what they actually verify as part of that process - or it is simply a confirmation that I have cancelled my current Indian passport and will not be stateless. As I mentioned earlier, I have yet to come across anybody in UK of Indian origin who have obtained British citizenship and do not plan to have OCI which means they will go for surrendering their Indian passport. Statistically you will notice (if the numbers can be revealed through an FOI) that almost 100% of people who have surrendered their passport will have applied for OCI.

Merging the two departments handling Surrendering of Passport and OCI will actually help HCI from an efficiency perspective.
Last edited by varunadas on Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:16 am, edited 3 times in total.

lovekirankumar
Newly Registered

Post by lovekirankumar » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:46 am

Registration Mission : London
Application Method to HCI : In person
Application Posted On : 13-02-2015 (1 child)
Date Of Acknowledgement (on website) :13-02-2015
Registration Status at Mission: LONDON
Documents Printing Status: Proessed
Documents Printing Status PROCESSED On : 09-03-2015
Dispatched From MOIA (OCI ) NEW DELHI On : 10-03-2015
OCI Document received At HCI On : Waiting
Passport sent Via Royal mail On :
Passport Received by HCI On :
OCI stamped passport received On :

manimaran

Post by manimaran » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:57 pm

Well I am at VFS Hounslow for my OCI booked appointment and the lady at the counter said all systems are down and will take an hour to come back. Anyone with me at Hounslow?

emuser

Post by emuser » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:04 pm

Application made in Person to HCI London(1 Adult) : 30 Jan 2015
Received by HCI : 30 Jan 2015
Originals verified and returned : 30 Jan 2015
Date Of Acknowledgement (on website) : 06 Feb 2015
Registration Status at Mission : London
Documents Printing Status : PROCESSED on 27-FEB-2015
Dispatched From MOIA (OCI) NEW DELHI On : 02 Mar 2015
Document received At LONDON On : 04 Mar 15
Passport sent to LONDON Via Royal mail SD : 06 Mar 15
Passport Received by HCI LONDON : Awaiting
OCI stamped passport received : Awaiting

varunadas
Newly Registered

Post by varunadas » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:24 pm

manimaran,

I waited for nearly an hour at Goswell fighting with the Manager to kick off a Business Continuity Plan. They do not seem to have any and he was justifying the risk of doing that :-)

As VFS is simply accepting documents and the decision maker is still HCI, they could have simply noted the key details on a spreadsheet or word to be entered into the system when it is back up. Note it is the software system which has an issue not the actual hardware.

The manager refused to look into that option and is waiting for an IT assessment. They are one of the firms who simply rely on using cheap labour and basic systems to execute the function at the cheapest cost possible. Their data retention policy are so bad that UK Home Office have been asked not to hand over any data centric task to them after a leak some time back.

I will be revisiting again in the evening with the hope that their systems are back up. Do update in the forum if you find the systems back up at Hounslow.

manimaran

Post by manimaran » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:40 pm

Hi Varun,

Thank you for the information. Looks like the system is up and they are calling the applicants. Will update once finishing mine.

Cheers,
Mani

jacsll55
Mood:
Bahrain

Post by jacsll55 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:21 pm

Sorry to see that applicants have to suffer with every change by HCI, the service is outsourced to make things much easier, while in short it does not simplify the work load for HCI, its a way to make money for the middle man VFS out of nothing! It's so annoying that Govt, of India does not care! VFS is a money making scheme for some big bosses at the centre in India, find out who owns this company! :twisted:

varunadas
Newly Registered

Post by varunadas » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:57 pm

Just to add further to my experience,I went back to Goswell after systems were up. This time they refused to accept my application if I did not hand over a Royal Mail Special Delivery Envelope or use their DX Secure Courier at an eye-watering £14.88 per envelope. Given that the only originals I was handing over was Naturalisation Certificates, Surrender Certificates and my son's Birth Certificate (which I have 2 copies from Registrar office) I asked them to send by normal post. They said that was not an option as agreed with HCI. Normally HCI gives people an option though majority prefer to use Special Delivery envelope.

So I had to go to Post Office to get a Special Delivery Envelope. Just to be on the safe side I bought 3 of them (one for 500g to use for submitting passports in case they still want to affix a U-sticker even though immigration at Indian Airports do not require them). I spoke to Co-ordination Secretary Pritam Lal before I went back to Goswell if 1 envelope should suffice for family application which he agreed. However again VFS refused to take 3 applications with one Secure Delivery Envelope. Seeing no end to this dispute and not wishing to visit their office again for submission, I handed over the 3 envelopes.

So all in all I had 4 trips (3 today and one yesterday), paid £22.32 as fees and also £19.95 for Royal mail special Delivery Envelope. Another potentially £20 more for the passports also will be needed in the future when OCI cards are ready.

Outsourcing OCI will cost a typical family another £65 and provides no benefits. Their business model is based on earning an income from Secure Courier commission as most applicants will either get 1 envelope for a family application or come empty handed. The Secure DX guys charge VFS around £3 per envelope and the rest is pure profit. VFS also provides another slower model of £8 if you are happy to wait a few more days - I would have used that option but refused to let VFS earn any more than the service fees.

I will write to High Commission about this in case they really value Indian Citizen's feedback of their partner's services.

The reality is that VFS puts their poor staff to ridiculous pressures often working till 8pm without any overtime paid as most days their systems collapse or something unpredicted happens. They simply are not equipped to handle other Consular Services (Indian tourist visa, Surrender Certificate, etc) so there was no point for HCI to allow them to bid for OCI Outsourcing - or the whole bidding process might have been rigged to allow VFS to win.