ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visit to Isle of Man

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

meratier1

Visit to Isle of Man

Post by meratier1 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:10 am

Hi Guys,

I have a question about the question on the Set (O) form :

6.9 If you spent any part of the five year continuous period with leave to enter or remain in the Crown dependencies, please indicate below where and when this was

1) We visited Isle of man for 3 days on our Tier1 General visa so do I need to enter that trip information here OR it is for those who take the specific Isle of man visa or who show the work experience or any other proof of residence from Isle of man

2) As Isle of man is common travel area so definitely I don't need to mention that in absences list right?

It would be great if someone can guide?

Thanks.

cfdman

Re: Visit to Isle of Man

Post by cfdman » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:49 am

For immigration purposes ‘UK’ means Great Britain and Northern Ireland only.
It does not include the Crown dependencies.

Read
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... eriods.pdf

So, you may need to mention those absences.
Anyway, if in doubt, why not mention it and let the case worker decide. Why risk it by not mentioning it.
I see no harm in mentioning it.

meratier1

Post by meratier1 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:49 pm

Hi ,

I've read more about it and I think I don't have to mention it. I agree with the below post.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/indefi ... 47052.html

What does others think? Any views guys?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:58 am

I declared my three day trip to the Isle of Man when I went for ILR. At the time, the guide clearly stated that the UK meant GB and NI only.

The argument about the Isle of Man being a part of the CTA is irrelevant. The Republic of Ireland is in the CTA too, but you must declare visits there. The Isle of Man has a separate legal personality from the UK and has its own laws, separate from the UK, just like Ireland.

The link in the previous post is also not directly related. The question there was what the meaning of "spent time in" a Crown Dependency in the form meant. So, if you had spent a year in the Isle of Man, you would not have been able to avail of premium service. Indeed, it underlines that the Isle of Man is not considered as a part of the UK for immigration purposes. But you can take a two day holiday in the Isle of Man, just as you can in France or Ireland. You will need to declare all three.

As an aside, the Crown Dependencies are not a part of the European Union. So, if you got UK citizenship in the Crown dependencies, your passport would not have the words "European Union" on it. Nor would you be able to move to another country in the EEA (you could visit it though).

To the best of my knowledge, there is no way that the authorities can track your presence in the Crown Dependencies or other parts of the CTA as there are no passport checks.

But not declaring the visit may count as deception and may possibly impact the good character assessment of your citizenship application if found out.

meratier1

Post by meratier1 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:49 pm

thanks mate for detailed reply. so when you applied your ILR:

1) Did you do PEO for ILR ?
2) Where did you declare your Isle of man trip. In absences section OR in Crown Dependency Section or both?

Thanks.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:20 pm

a) I did use the PEO service for ILR.
b) In the absences section. I don't even recall there being a Crown Dependency section in my form.

meratier1

Post by meratier1 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:06 pm

Thanks mate. I will also mention my 3 days visit (which would be only 1 day absence as first & 3rd day won't count) in absence section. It's just I am not able to find ferry ticket mail right now but will show the hotel booking at least. You think I can show anything else?

I'm also mentioning the question below in the current form about the crown dependency in case it rings the bell for you...

6.9 If you spent any part of the five year continuous period with leave to enter or remain in the Crown dependencies, please indicate below where and when this was:

Thank you very much mate.

farmersdaughter
Newly Registered

Post by farmersdaughter » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:06 pm

Hi there meratier1,

Just wondering if you ran into any trouble with this question: I'm on a UK Ancestry Visa and spent a day in the Isle of Man as well, on holiday. I've declared it in the section about absences from the UK (6.2) but I'm wondering if you also put it into section 6.9 and whether that was an issue at all for you.

I think - if I'm right, it says "If you spent any part of the five year continuous period with leave to enter or remain in the Crown dependencies ... " that it means that if I'd had leave to remain in the crown dependencies, I need to fill that out. So I think it doesn't apply to me because I didn't have that kind of leave to remain.

Thanks in advance for your reply!

farmersdaughter