ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA Citizen applying for British Passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

yousuf2015

EEA Citizen applying for British Passport

Post by yousuf2015 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:54 pm

Hello,

I'm an EEA national (Belgian) and living in UK since June 2006. I studied in UK for 5 years, then worked on onn/off basis and now self-employed. In June 2006 when I entered Uk from Belgium, I registered myself and got the Blue 6 page Residence Document called Registration Certificate. I'm also mother of a child who is having British Passport as the baby was born in UK.

Please could anyone kindly advise, that can I apply for British Passport? What is the procedure of British Passport in my case.

Thanks a lot.

fwd079
Diamond Member

Re: EEA Citizen applying for British Passport

Post by fwd079 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:52 pm

You have to become British Citizen first. Then you can apply for passport later.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.

yousuf2015

Post by yousuf2015 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:57 pm

Hello,

I'm an EEA national (Belgian) and living in UK since June 2006. I studied in UK for 5 years, then worked on onn/off basis and now self-employed. In June 2006 when I entered Uk from Belgium, I registered myself and got the Blue 6 page Residence Document called Registration Certificate. I'm also mother of a child who is having British Passport as the baby was born in UK.

Please could anyone kindly advise, that can I apply for British Passport? What is the procedure of British Passport in my case.

Thanks a lot.

boloney

Post by boloney » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:05 pm

Download and read AN form first. Than you will see if you can became British Citizen.

yousuf2015

Post by yousuf2015 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:10 pm

Thanks Vinny. I talked with Passport office, they told me to do the Life in UK test and then send us all your documents for last 5 years or 08 years, send us as many documents as u can produce.
My question is that I'm in UK for almost 9 years now, but I don't have any PR. I made a registration certificate when I first came to UK in 2006. then didn't apply for PR.
My question is, whould I directly apply for Naturalization or first apply for PR?

fwd079
Diamond Member

Post by fwd079 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:36 pm

I made a registration certificate when I first came to UK in 2006. then didn't apply for PR.
My question is, whould I directly apply for Naturalization or first apply for PR?
You cannot have British Passport if you are not a British Citizen.

For becoming a British Citizen, you must be free from immigration control. That is, in case of non-EU national, having an Indefinite Leave To Remain (ILR) or in case of EU national, having a PR.

I am not clear on EU rules as wasn't an EU national myself so other folks from EU route etc can tell you better, but I guess you need to apply for PR first otherwise they might ask you for proof, please go through this link for non-PR related issue.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.

Samaralady

Post by Samaralady » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:01 pm

yousuf2015 wrote:Thanks Vinny. I talked with Passport office, they told me to do the Life in UK test and then send us all your documents for last 5 years or 08 years, send us as many documents as u can produce.
My question is that I'm in UK for almost 9 years now, but I don't have any PR. I made a registration certificate when I first came to UK in 2006. then didn't apply for PR.
I'm a German citizen and applied for British Citizenship last year, which was eventually granted January this year.

There is no need to apply for PR. You can apply for naturalisation straightaway. However, if you have a PR card, your eventual application for naturalisation might be dealt with quicker. Or maybe now, who knows.

I had to wait for 7 months and most EEA applicants without a PR card had to wait a lot longer. It's up to you, on the overall scale of things, I'd say it probably doesn't save you any time if you consider that you may have to wait four months to get your PR card, then apply for naturalisation and wait another three to four months ... it's 8 months in total, might as well apply for naturalisation straightaway, wait for 8 months and save the PR application fee.

Once you have been naturalised, ie become a British citizen, you can apply for a British passport. The passport's got nothing to do with your naturalisation status.

Good luck!

Best,
Kate
„Zwei Dinge sind unendlich, das Universum und die menschliche Dummheit, aber bei dem Universum bin ich mir noch nicht ganz sicher.“
Albert Einstein

yousuf2015

Post by yousuf2015 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:25 pm

Dear Samaralady,

Many thanks for your good reply. In fact I was waiting for reply for many days. Could you please advise the list of documents you submitted with your application for naturalization? I need the list of document, so I can submit my case, it's ready to be submitted but I'm just worried about the documents' list as £900+ pounds are involved :) I will be very grateful for your help.

Thanks.

Samaralady

Post by Samaralady » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:34 pm

No prob, glad to help.

The documents I provided were the following:

P60s and payslips to prove exercise of treaty rights
Employer letters confirming employment over the last 6 years (just supporting the above)
Bank statement showing incoming salary where payslip was missing
Life in the UK test certificate
Language test certificate
Copy of German passport

I think that was it.

I'd recommend using the NCS, it costs a few quid but is well worth it as they make sure that your paperwork is in order, thus greatly reducing the risk of rejection. They also take photocopies of your passport/ID so you don't have to send originals.

Any questions, do please send me a private message as I get an email notification. I'm still in this forum every now and then, but not that regularly any more.
„Zwei Dinge sind unendlich, das Universum und die menschliche Dummheit, aber bei dem Universum bin ich mir noch nicht ganz sicher.“
Albert Einstein

Jolia
Newly Registered

Post by Jolia » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:44 am

Hi
I just gave birth and the father of my child is a german citizen living in the UK and working for the past 9 years. I would please like to know if my child can apply for a british passport through her dad?
Thanks

Torex

Post by Torex » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:57 am

I would please like to know if my child can apply for a british passport through her dad?
In order for child to be British, either parent must have had ILR/PR prior to child's birth. As the father of the child has been working in the UK for the last 9 years, I assume he has exercised his Treaty rights (5 years in UK requirement) and therefore gaining PR status.

Kornelia04
Newly Registered

Post by Kornelia04 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:07 am

I have passed my life in the Uk test 4 years ago when I first applied for British passport, unfortunately unsuccessfully. I am planning to apply again this year can I use my old certificate-life in the UK?

LilyLalilu

Post by LilyLalilu » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:02 am

Kornelia04: The LIUK test does not expire and you can hence use the same certificate for your new naturalisation application.
All information given is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

yousuf2015

Post by yousuf2015 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:05 am

Thank you Kate....

Jolia
Newly Registered

Post by Jolia » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:47 am

Hello
sorry torex but i did not get it clear. Although the father has got german nationality does he have to apply first for ILR for his child to get british nationality?
thx

yousuf2015

Post by yousuf2015 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:05 am

Hi Jolia,

The father of baby is German national and living in UK since 9 years, the baby is automatically British. Your partner don't need to apply for naturalisation as when you exercise your treaty rights for five years, your automatically considered as ILR/PR.
All he need is to prove his 9 years stay in UK, like Utility bills, tenancy agreements over the time, NHS letters, P-90.

Jolia
Newly Registered

Post by Jolia » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:03 am

Hello everyone.
I was told i have to fill MN1 form form my child. Do i download it from the home office page and fill it or do i get i from the post office? Also please where do i send the form to once i have completed it? How long does it take to get the passport and how much do i have to pay.
Thx for replying

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:34 am

Child does not need to fill in the MN1 form, if child is automatically British.

There is no need for child's father to apply for Permanent residence certificate, as it doesn't confer the status, but is merely confirmation of PR.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Jolia
Newly Registered

Post by Jolia » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:58 am

Hi vinny
my daughter's father is an eea national and has been in the uk for 9years but has not got PR or ILR what form do we need to fill?
thx

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:03 am

For child, British passport.

Child may also optionally apply for confirmation of British nationality status, if required.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

Jolia
Newly Registered

Post by Jolia » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:18 am

Please vinny can you explsind to me in details which form i need to fill and where to get it from also the documents i have to provide
thx

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:21 am

Please click on given links for more information.