ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Worth doing ILR on my own?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

chssvi

Worth doing ILR on my own?

Post by chssvi » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:59 am

Hi all,

This year I'll be applying for ILR for my wife and I. I have been with a Tier 2 visa since I arrived at the UK and should meet all the requirements within a few months.

In the past the lawyers at my employer have helped me out with visa applications, renewals, etc. I was asking them if they would be willing to give me a hand with the ILR application and they said yes, but with strings attached. Namely, they reserve the right to claim back the cost of their support (£2k per applicant) if I were to leave the firm within the next 1.5 years after the application.

Now, while I'm not planning on quitting my job as soon as I get the ILR, one of the main motivations was precisely to have the labour flexibility that I've been missing for the past 4.5 years, which makes signing a further 1.5 year commitment a bit of a drag. Some people have said that they'll probably forget to claim it back if I were to go somewhere else so I should be OK, but I'm not so sure.

The other option would be for me to do the application all on my own and then not have to owe anything to anyone, but not sure how straightforward that would be.

Any experience on this would be much appreciated!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Worth doing ILR on my own?

Post by CR001 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:01 pm

If you meet the requirements and your application is straightforward, you could apply on your own. The choice is yours at the end of the day.

The forum is great for helping people and it is free.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

chssvi

ILR when to apply

Post by chssvi » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:03 am

Hi all.

Just a quick question. I've heard from a few people that one can apply one month before the five year anniversary of my arrival in the UK. For example, in my case, I arrived early Oct. of 2010 so I should be able to apply in early Sept. of this year (I came here a couple of days after my visa was issued so there's not much difference there).

Is this correct? I was having a look at post http://www.immigrationboards.com/indefi ... 93536.html and specifically the guidance in https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... eriods.pdf but it seems that it has been updated since that post and I saw no mention of being able to apply one month before.

Thanks as always!

vinny

Re: ILR when to apply

Post by vinny » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:07 am

It's mentioned in the Application form's Guidance Notes.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

chssvi

Post by chssvi » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:42 am

Thanks Vinny.

It states "Please do not apply more than 28 days before completing the qualifying period. If you apply earlier
than that, your application may be refused. If that happens, we will not refund the fee and you will
have to pay again when reapplying."

I guess that answers the question. One thing though, if I apply using the premium service for same-day consideration would this 28 day period still apply? It doesn't say it wouldn't but just wondering as.

Thanks again

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:30 pm

Yes, the 28 day period also applies to in person applications.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

sampuvbs
Newly Registered

Re: ILR when to apply & 28 days rule

Post by sampuvbs » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:59 pm

Hi,

Myself
EC Stamped: 15 July 2010 (visa valid until 15/7/2012)
First entry : 3 Oct 2010 (less than 90 Days)
Tier 1 Extension applied : 29/06/2012 (by 28 days rule)
Tier 1 Extension Granted: 10/10/2012 to 10/10/2015 (delay by UKBA due to Olympics Visa rush and backlog of applications)
Current Visa Expiry : 10/10/2015

a) Completing 5 year period after first landing in UK : 3/10/2015
b) Completing 5 year period based on EC : 15/07/2015

Am I I satisfying 5 year Qualifying Period to apply for ILR based on (a) or (b)??

Should i apply for ILR based on 28 days rule on considering (a -> 5 year from landing) or (b -> 5 year from EC date)?

Appreciate your response.

thanks and regads
Sam

haiksuresh
Member of Standing

Post by haiksuresh » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:49 pm

You can apply on or after Wednesday, 17 June 2015.

As your first entry was less than 90 days. you eligibility start from 15 July 2010. And 5 years completes in 15 July 2015. If you apply 28 days rule then 17 June 2015.

sampuvbs
Newly Registered

ILR when to apply

Post by sampuvbs » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:15 am

Hi,

My friend

EC Stamped: 17 July 2010 (visa valid until 17/7/2012)
First entry : 17 July 2010 (less than 1 Day)
Tier 1 Extension applied : 26/06/2012 (by 28 days rule, same day service)
Tier 1 Extension Granted: 26/06/2012 to 26/06/2015
Current Visa Expiry : 26/06/2015

Completing 5 year period after first landing in UK & based on EC : 17/07/2015

Since my friends visa is valid until 26th June 2015, when is the earliest he can apply?

a) Can he apply 28 days before 26/06/15 (current Tier 1 visa expiry) - which will come to 30th May 2015?

b) Or he can only apply for ILR on 19th June (applying 28 days rule on 5 year completion based on EC of 17/7/2010) and completing 5 years on 17/7/2015?

Appreciate your response.

thanks and regads
Sam

fms05
Newly Registered

Post by fms05 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:24 am

19th June (its 28 days from date of 1st entry)

sampuvbs
Newly Registered

ILR after April 2015 - English language

Post by sampuvbs » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:56 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for your reply earlier regarding when to apply for ILR.
I heard that from April 2015, SET O form changed and in section 4.3 - there is mention of both Life in UK test pass and also, English language qualification

Before, both in point based calculator and in English language, if we submit University Degree taught in English, it was sufficient and it was accepted as part of Tier 1 renewal.

But now, as per new SET(O) valid from April 2015, both Life in UK test and English language requirement with a test to be passed? - has to be met. Kindly confirm. Appreciate your response. Please find below the text from SET (O) application

a) Life in the UK test pass

b) And either

A speaking and listening qualification at level B1 or above from the Secure English Language Test (SELT) list (Go to question 4.5 below); OR

An ESOL qualification at Entry Level 3, Level 1 or Level 2 , that includes speaking and listening which has been regulated by the Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation (Ofqual). It must be listed as an ESOL qualification on the Ofqual Register and taken in England, Wales or Northern Ireland; OR

• A National Qualification in ESOL at Scottish Qualifications Framework (SCFQ) levels 4, 5 or 6, awarded by the Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA); OR

• A National Qualification in ESOL at Scottish Qualifications Framework (SCFQ) levels 4, 5 or 6, awarded by the Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA); OR
˗UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in English; or
˗the qualification was taught or researched in the UK or a majority English speaking country (other than Canada); OR
- You are a national of a majority English speaking country (as in the list at https://www.gov.uk/english-language)