ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Query on Tier 1 Entrepreneur Extension

Only for UK Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) points system. This route is now closed to new applicants.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

mindthebusiness
Newly Registered

Query on Tier 1 Entrepreneur Extension

Post by mindthebusiness » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:33 am

Hi,

I am new here and have a few questions about extending my current Tier 1 Entrepreneur Visa. My visa doesn't expire until 03/11/2013.

I applied about 2 years ago after my PSW visa expired with having a capital of £200k.

I have since set up two limited companies, one of which is consultancy work and another is a retail service business. The consultancy work provided was on contract basis and had recently terminated (2 years contract) and paid myself a salary and dividend through this limited company with some expenses claimed through the business i.e. hotel accommodation, business travel, subsistence, etc.

The other business that I have is a retail business and has two directors - myself and my father. We have employed 1 local person to work full time since 2010 and my father is also paid a salary each month as a director/ manager with the business though I do not take any salary from this business.

Questions:

1. I am wondering if I would be able to use any part of the expenses in the consultancy business as 'investment' amount towards meeting the extension requirement? As it was a consultancy with me providing intellectual services, there were no money put into the business apart from the client paying/ invoicing my limited company for the services provided monthly. As I pay myself as the director for the company and also claimed expenses, can this be used as part of the investment amount required?

2. I am considering opening another business acting as middlemen dealing with suppliers and consumers. Question is will the items purchased from the suppliers to sell to the consumer considered as part of investment value, if the money purchasing items from the supplier does not come from the business but from the consumer? i.e. consumer pays into my business bank account, I then place an order with the supplier. Will the cost to place an order with the supplier considered as investment towards meeting the requirement?

3. I understand that in order to get the extension I would need to prove that we have employed at least 2 person(s) working full time, as previously stated we already have 1 local person employed full time since 2010, however can I include my father to be considered as another employed person as the retail business pays him a monthly salary?

4. I am also thinking of doing an MBA in 2013 at a reputable university in the UK, and was wondering if I could not meet the requirement of extending the Entrepreneur Visa, would there be any problem for me to apply for a Student Visa? I have been in the UK since 2004 and was on a student visa for 4 years, then 2 years PSW and now Entrepreneur Visa, so I am wondering if this would cause any complication in obtaining another student visa from Entrepreneur status?

I am sorry if this has been a lengthy post, but would really appreciate anyone's input on this.

Thanks!

I.

Aboora
Newly Registered

Tier-1 Extension

Post by Aboora » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:59 pm

Hi,

As per my understanding,

1. You have to invest £200K until 0311/2013, obviously you will need to show the investment a little earlier (means at the time of extension application).
2. You can invest any income you have generated in the course of your business.
3. The investment has to come from you ( this point of getting from the customer in advance can be clarified by your accountant).
4. If your father is a settled person and is not one of the director, you can show his employment also, to qualify for job creation. However, if you have employed one local person for the last two years but for atleast 30hrs/week, this alone will be considered as equalent of two full time jobs for one year and is sufficient for the job creation.
5. Tier 1 -Entrepreneur cannot switch to Tier 4. Therefore, you will have to leave the country and apply for Tier 4.

Hope your questions are answered.

Can ask further, if required.

mindthebusiness
Newly Registered

Post by mindthebusiness » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:09 pm

Many thanks Aboora, much appreciated.

So just to clarify, the business (jointly between my father and myself) have employed only 1 person over the last 2 years who have been employed continuously. I am assuming that as the employee has worked for over 24 months with the business this in itself should meet the employment requirement for the visa extension?

I also have another query with regards to entrepreneurial teams. My father obtained his Tier 1 Entrepreneur Visa in June 2010, whilst I obtained mine separately on Nov 2010. We didn't specify that we would be in a team however how I have met my funding requirement is through his bank account (I have a solicitor's letter stating that I have full access to his funds) hence met the requirement.

Now all the expenses and money that has been invested to the company (my dad and I are the directors with 50% share each) came from my father, directly from his bank account into the business bank account with his name. So my question is will I be okay to apply for an extension next year stating that we are an entrepreneur team? And is the funding okay coming from his part?

Secondly I now own several properties in the UK. I understand that residential properties cannot be used as part of meeting the investment requirement. However just recently we have decided to turn one of the apartments we own into a bed and breakfast business. By applying for planning permission and change of use through the council to turn it into a business premises, will this be counted as investment? We also purchased this property over 4-5 years ago hence I do not know if this can be part of meeting the business investment.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

suvalike
Member of Standing

Re: Query on Tier 1 Entrepreneur Extension

Post by suvalike » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:08 am

Hi ,

Have you applied for your extension ?

cappachino
Member of Standing

Post by cappachino » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:16 pm

good luck with your extension application

MTZ510
Member of Standing

Re:

Post by MTZ510 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:36 pm

You and your father are not team members. you both need to invest 50K or 200K indivdually.

mindthebusiness wrote:Many thanks Aboora, much appreciated.

So just to clarify, the business (jointly between my father and myself) have employed only 1 person over the last 2 years who have been employed continuously. I am assuming that as the employee has worked for over 24 months with the business this in itself should meet the employment requirement for the visa extension?

I also have another query with regards to entrepreneurial teams. My father obtained his Tier 1 Entrepreneur Visa in June 2010, whilst I obtained mine separately on Nov 2010. We didn't specify that we would be in a team however how I have met my funding requirement is through his bank account (I have a solicitor's letter stating that I have full access to his funds) hence met the requirement.

Now all the expenses and money that has been invested to the company (my dad and I are the directors with 50% share each) came from my father, directly from his bank account into the business bank account with his name. So my question is will I be okay to apply for an extension next year stating that we are an entrepreneur team? And is the funding okay coming from his part?

Secondly I now own several properties in the UK. I understand that residential properties cannot be used as part of meeting the investment requirement. However just recently we have decided to turn one of the apartments we own into a bed and breakfast business. By applying for planning permission and change of use through the council to turn it into a business premises, will this be counted as investment? We also purchased this property over 4-5 years ago hence I do not know if this can be part of meeting the business investment.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
Always help others..... it always come back to you.
Even if i know the answer ... i have this habit of confirming from others..

aib
Newly Registered

Post by aib » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:09 am

Hello,

They mention on the website that the employees must be people settled in the UK. what do they mean by that. What qualifies as settled in the UK. is there a time period for that.

Thanks

cappachino
Member of Standing

Post by cappachino » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:14 am

aib wrote:Hello,

They mention on the website that the employees must be people settled in the UK. what do they mean by that. What qualifies as settled in the UK. is there a time period for that.

Thanks
That is something I would want to know as well.
a European union student studying and working at the same time would that qualify as settled worker?

aib
Newly Registered

Post by aib » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:02 pm

Hello,

That's what I also want to know what is a person settled in uk or a settled worker. Please clarify?

many thanks

khandrakhan

Post by khandrakhan » Sat May 02, 2015 8:45 pm

People with UK or EU passports or ILR

mfh
Newly Registered

Post by mfh » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:24 am

Hi,
Can you please confirm, if person on ILR is considered as person settled in UK?

From Guidance Document
Documents kept by an employer as evidence that an employee is a settled worker will often be the passport pages from a UK passport that contain the employee’s personal details, and the page containing the UK Government stamp or endorsement, if appropriate.
Thanks

kaps84
Member of Standing

Post by kaps84 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:15 am

mfh wrote:Hi,
Can you please confirm, if person on ILR is considered as person settled in UK?

From Guidance Document
Documents kept by an employer as evidence that an employee is a settled worker will often be the passport pages from a UK passport that contain the employee’s personal details, and the page containing the UK Government stamp or endorsement, if appropriate.
Thanks

ILR is definitely settled per my understanding.
-- Kaps84

VWS

Post by VWS » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:21 pm

cmon guys, its been discussed so many times!

Anyone with ILR or with EU passport is considered as settled worker for sure.

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:28 pm

VWS wrote:cmon guys, its been discussed so many times!

Anyone with ILR or with EU passport is considered as settled worker for sure.
This thread has been inactive for more than a year. Why bringing this up again ??????
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice