ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR english language degree requirements

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

zaynab79

ILR english language degree requirements

Post by zaynab79 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:18 am

hi all,

I have been looking for a clause whereby we dont need to submit the degree as it was not submitted for my 2 extensions in UK since last almost 5 years.
please see below link issued on nov 2014 Immigration Directorate Instructions on page 17

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _6a_01.pdf

i would appreciate everyone's thoughts on this and whether we should still submit the degree. we have to take into consideration that it was not done for extensions and they have also removed calculator points on tier 1 hence why the requirement to submit now for ILR? also IELTS result was not submitted previously as it was seen at the time of initial application.
i applied when it was HSMP i received HSMP approval letter in 2008 and received the stamped visa with Tier 1 (G) in feb 2009

zaynab79

Re: ILR english language degree requirements

Post by zaynab79 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:09 am

i would appreciate feedback on this please

zaynab79

Post by zaynab79 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:38 am

my other question would be that do we also need to do another b1 test as thats part of listening and speaking KOLL requirements
please note that OR / AND factors. my understanding is that we need to submit life in UK test result along with either b1 result or degree certificate with PBS calculator. Am i correct?

Life in the UK test pass
[u][b]And either[/b][/u]
• A speaking and listening qualification at level B1 or above from the Secure English Language Test (SELT) list (Go to question 4.5 below); [b][u]OR[/u][/b]
• An ESOL qualification at Entry Level 3, Level 1 or Level 2 , that includes speaking and listening which has been regulated by the Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation (Ofqual). It must be listed as an ESOL qualification on the Ofqual Register and taken in England, Wales or Northern Ireland;[b][u] OR[/u][/b]
• A National Qualification in ESOL at Scottish Qualifications Framework (SCFQ) levels 4, 5 or 6, awarded by the Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA); [u][b]OR[/b][/u]
• An academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United Kingdom [b][u]and:[/u][/b]
˗˗UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in English; [b][u]or[/u][/b]
˗˗the qualification was taught or researched in the UK or a majority English speaking country (other than Canada); [b][u]OR[/u][/b]
▪▪You are a national of a majority English speaking country

zaynab79

Post by zaynab79 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:53 am

hi all,

im still waiting a response. i also have another question:

do we have to show both degree and IELTS/ESOL test results or can we submit only one? i would rather give english language test than go to UK NARIC to ELA.

appreciate your help

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:44 pm

zaynab79 wrote:do we have to show both degree and IELTS/ESOL test results or can we submit only one? i would rather give english language test than go to UK NARIC to ELA.
Its just one form of evidence you need to prove your English language. So you don't need both a degree and a English test to prove this. Just ensure the test result you submit is at the required level and you'll be fine.

zaynab79

Post by zaynab79 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:19 pm

thank you so much cs95tdg. so basically i am ok if i only submit approved english language test result from approved home office centre. so now another question is that one the form i tick which parts only the first one:

A speaking and listening qualification at level B1 or above from the Secure English Language Test (SELT) list (Go to question 4.5 below); OR
• An ESOL qualification at Entry Level 3, Level 1 or Level 2 , that includes speaking and listening which has been regulated by the Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation (Ofqual). It must be listed as an ESOL qualification on the Ofqual Register and taken in England, Wales or Northern Ireland;OR
• A National Qualification in ESOL at Scottish Qualifications Framework (SCFQ) levels 4, 5 or 6, awarded by the Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA); OR
• An academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United Kingdom and
˗˗UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in English; or
˗˗the qualification was taught or researched in the UK or a majority English speaking country (other than Canada); OR

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:39 pm

It would depend on the qualification you have. I'd suggest that you check your qualification against the register mentioned under the HO to establish this.

https://www.gov.uk/english-language/app ... ifications

With regards to your degree, it appears you can use a PBS printout along with degree certificate to prove you English language as this has now been confirmed by the HO in the thread below.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/indefi ... 42-20.html

zaynab79

Post by zaynab79 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:19 pm

thank you again but thats exactly what i want to clarify that i either submit
Approved English language qualifications
OR
degree was taught or researched in English
so basically anyone of the 2 above.

my bachelors degree is not appointing any score on PBS calculator and when i submitted it on first application there was no online calculator and for my extensions i tick the 'already submitted at initial application' field in the forms. i am aware about UK naric assessments too but i would rather give the test again ( initial application i submitted IELTS result from Pakistan British council score 8)

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:25 pm

Ok, understood. I just mentioned the degree as an option because you mentioned that you had one, but if it isn't recognised on the PBS then you are better off going with your English qualification. The statement below is correct.
zaynab79 wrote: i either submit
Approved English language qualification
OR
degree was taught or researched in English
so basically anyone of the 2 above.

zaynab79

Post by zaynab79 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:39 pm

thank you so much for your help