ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR with dual nationality

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

tabooze
Newly Registered

ILR with dual nationality

Post by tabooze » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:15 pm

Dear all,

I'm hoping someone may give me some guidance.

My daughter is a dual South African / US citizen. She holds an ILR with a BRP, and the BRP states that her nationality is South African. Her SA passport has expired, and it will be several months before she can get a new one.

Can she travel to an EU country in the meantime with the US passport and her BRP?

Many thanks if someone can shed some light on it.

Tabooze

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: ILR with dual nationality

Post by CR001 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:19 pm

SA passports are taking a few weeks not several months. Home Affairs in London is quite jacked up these days.

If her BRP is linked to the SA passport, I am not sure if she can use it with her US passport.

She can obviously travel freely in Europe on US passport and it is re-entering the UK which might be challenging. Has she or you declared both passports to the Home Office for their records?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

tabooze
Newly Registered

Post by tabooze » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:26 am

CR001 wrote:SA passports are taking a few weeks not several months. Home Affairs in London is quite jacked up these days.

If her BRP is linked to the SA passport, I am not sure if she can use it with her US passport.

She can obviously travel freely in Europe on US passport and it is re-entering the UK which might be challenging. Has she or you declared both passports to the Home Office for their records?
Thanks for the response. We've declared her nationality from day one - she was born in the US. When my son was born in the UK three years back, it took a couple of months to get the passport. I know Home Affairs is quicker these days, but we've renewed all our SA passports in the last few years in SA - that was a week or two. The high commission states on their website a four-months waiting time.

I guess we just have to go, submit and see what they tell us.

Once again, thank you!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:39 am

When in she planning to travel?

I applied to renew my daughters passport in 2013 in London and it took 3 to 4 weeks.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.