ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 4 switch to tourist Visa

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Wombat55
Newly Registered

Tier 4 switch to tourist Visa

Post by Wombat55 » Tue May 05, 2015 12:21 pm

Good afternoon, I am in a pickle and I am looking for some advice really.

My girlfriend is here on a Tier 4 visa, which expires at the end of this month. She has just completed a Higher National Diploma course and plans to top it up to end with a bachelor degree. She has been given a conditional offer from a university, however they are waiting for her transcript from her current college before placing her on a course that starts in September. The college stated that due to a backlog she would not get her transcript for atleast another two months.

We have been in a relationship for 1 year and ten months, and have been living together for 1 year and 8 months. Come September/October we plan to apply for a partner visa for her as we would then meet all of the requirments.

My questions is, can she switch to a visitor visa whilst in the U.K, or is there any visa that she can apply for whilst in the U.K in order for her to stay or at the very least complete her affairs? Ideally I don't want her to go back as that would put us three months back for the partner visa.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Tier 4 switch to tourist Visa

Post by CR001 » Tue May 05, 2015 12:30 pm

When does her current visa expire?

She cannot switch to a visitor visa while in the UK. What is her nationality?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Wombat55
Newly Registered

Post by Wombat55 » Tue May 05, 2015 1:00 pm

CR001 wrote:When does her current visa expire?

She cannot switch to a visitor visa while in the UK. What is her nationality?

Oh gosh, her visa expires 28th May and she is a Thai national.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue May 05, 2015 1:10 pm

Are you a British citizen?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Wombat55
Newly Registered

Post by Wombat55 » Tue May 05, 2015 1:33 pm

CR001 wrote:Are you a British citizen?
I am indeed, London born and bred :D

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue May 05, 2015 1:44 pm

Thanks. Is there no way that she is able to extend her current visa?

Even if she could switch to a visitor visa, she would not be able to then apply or switch to an unmarried partner visa or student visa.

The 2 year cohabitation is not a requirement if she is your wife, just in case you thought it applied to all aspects of British partner visas. This 2 year cohabitation is applicable for unmarried partner visa.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Wombat55
Newly Registered

Post by Wombat55 » Tue May 05, 2015 1:54 pm

CR001 wrote:Thanks. Is there no way that she is able to extend her current visa?

Even if she could switch to a visitor visa, she would not be able to then apply or switch to an unmarried partner visa or student visa.

The 2 year cohabitation is not a requirement if she is your wife, just in case you thought it applied to all aspects of British partner visas. This 2 year cohabitation is applicable for unmarried partner visa.
Re extending her current visa, her course has finished. Though I was going to explain to explain that she is awaiting important documents ie her certificate and transcript in order to move to a secure a place on a postgraduate course.

Sorry for the confusion, I never have been good in telling stories. We're not married and don't plan to be yet for the next 5 years. Which is why the unmarried partner visa would come in handy.

If worst comes to worst she can always go back to Thailand, though if so that would in August, after she has secured a place for September. I could do with a holiday anyway.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue May 05, 2015 2:12 pm

She would need to leave the UK before her current visa expires otherwise she becomes an overstayer.
Char (CR001 not Casa)