ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Getting married on tier 4?

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

silverchloride
Member of Standing
Mood:
Pakistan

Getting married on tier 4?

Post by silverchloride » Mon May 11, 2015 2:28 pm

Hi all,

I am asking this on behalf of a friend. Can someone on a Tier 4 student visa get married legally in the UK to a British citizen with the following circumstances:

He is a funded PhD student and have leave to remain until 2-3 years. Ideally, they would like to get married and not apply for any new leave just now but do it after he has finished the course - which is a few years in future. During that time, they'd live together, etc.

The spouse-to-be is British and has a decent £30k+/annum job so that should'nt be an issue either.

My question is:

- Can they legally register their marriage in the UK (an immigration advisor has suggested that they go and do it abroad) as if he does register / notify. He will be reported to the immigration authorities, etc who will deport him. Is this true?
- He will not be applying for switch/further leave to remain based on this marriage straight away (not until a few years) as he has a valid leave as a student and wants to finish his course first.
- Once they register it, will he able to switch to a spouse visa after he finishes his Tier 4?

The trouble is that he cannot go back to his country just now and apply for a switch as his scholarship will be forfieted so he wants to finish the course first and then switch / extend.

Are there any other contraints that the pair should be aware of in this case?

Many thanks in advance,
S

Casa

Re: Getting married on tier 4?

Post by Casa » Mon May 11, 2015 4:15 pm

The 'solicitor' has given poor advice. Why on earth would he be deported for marrying in the UK while on a valid visa! He can marry here and switch to a spouse visa when he's ready by applying on form FLR(M).
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.