ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

General Visit Visa for unmarried couples

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Administrator

mesencephalon
Newly Registered

General Visit Visa for unmarried couples

Post by mesencephalon » Tue May 12, 2015 4:12 pm

Dear All,

I have been following the forum for quite sometime now- everyone offers such great advice and support, I wondered whether I could be helped, too.

I was introduced to a potential suitor for myself a couple of months ago- I knew of him as he is a family friend but got to know him personally only recently. Things hit off well and we thought we would like to take things further by actually meeting in person. My background is British and Muslim so for us generally there is no such extended dating period whereby we live together or frequently visit one another. This was our first step to actually meeting and planning what we want to do in future. Now, my boyfriend/fiance, residing in a non-EU country, made quite a few errors on his 'Visitor Visa' application (and I am really cross about it!), but I do believe his application was rightfully rejected because he did not supply enough evidence to back up his claims, and their concern was he did not provide proof of 'ties back home'/insufficient savings/no evidence of our 'relationship'

Now, should we simply reapply and present a case as thus:
-I write a letter to explain the entire situation, back it up with proof of employment/residency/bankstatement/relationship and that I really would like him to meet me and my family.
-He does the same with enough supporting evidence of his employment/necessity to go back/bank statements/proof of our relationship and that he would not jeopardise this in any case

My concern is the same as what the ECO might question- I have only known him for a short period of time and never met him, therefore he might just arrive in the UK and disappear- who knows? What is the guarantee for this?

We have been planning to meet somewhere in the middle, e.g. Dubai maybe, or somewhere in Europe. IMO, it is best if I waited and went to see him for sometime (not less than a week), few trips perhaps, and then I return and support his application saying how I would very much like him to visit me and my family later on in the year before he applies as a Marriage Visitor. I will of course make sure we have enough evidence to cover all aspects of the application.

What do you guys think? I personally believe he has shot himself in the foot with not telling me of the contents of his application (bless him, he was REALLY excited and wanted to give me a surprise as it's my birthday soon!) and that he really does have all the evidence required, just not supplied it. And also that maybe we should meet in person to substantiate my 'sponsoring' him!

Thanks a ton! :)

vinny

Re: General Visit Visa for unmarried couples

Post by vinny » Wed May 13, 2015 2:53 am

If you have never met, then describing yourselves as an Unmarried couple is misleading. It's far remote from the UKVI's technical definition,
GEN 1.2 wrote:(iv) a person who has been living together with the applicant in a relationship akin to a marriage or civil partnership for at least two years prior to the date of application,
Take things slowly.

He may resubmit with more supporting evidence, addressing each point in the refusal.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.