ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Detained and an interview has been arranged at the airport

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

rajeev0054
Newly Registered

Detained and an interview has been arranged at the airport

Post by rajeev0054 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:59 pm

Dear All,

I hope you can help me with the below issue;

I was stopped by the immigration officer at the airport when I was returning from India. He asked me several question regarding my self employment as I am on Tier 1 General visa, extended it in Jan 2013 valid until Jan 2016. He asked me to explain regarding the source of my income to which I replied £24k from employment and £25 to £28 from self employment. However, I have declared to UKBA that I earned £35,000 from self employment(sole trader- consultant). I completely forgot about my self employment earnings at that time as I was not expecting this. Further, he asked me whether I have paid the tax , I informed him that I have paid the tax for the earnings I have declared but he told me that he has to check whether I have paid with the HMRC. As a result, he retained my passport and issued a letter that I am liable to be detained and asked me to attend an interview next week.

I didn't pay the tax for the earning I declared for 2012 to 2013. Following the advise of the solicitors I have now amended the tax return online - the next day and paid part of the tax and arranged direct debit for the next 12 months.

They have confirmed the interview, therefore grateful if you could please share your experience if you have gone through a similar situation / advise me on what question to expect at the interview and to tackle them.

Many thanks
Rajeev

O_Relly

Re: Detained and an interview has been arranged at the airpo

Post by O_Relly » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:30 am

Since there have been some discrepancies to your answers and the facts, they are probably going to have all the information from the system and question for correctness and consistency starting your immigration history.

Keep all paperwork of your self-employment such as contractual agreements, invoices, and accountant letters that you originally submitted for your visa extension. Be truthful, and consistent and in your answers, and every thing should go through fine.

Good Luck.

FYI - Read a recent case immigration officers were in the wrong,
http://www.freemovement.org.uk/family-v ... officials/
Cheers,
OR

rajeev0054
Newly Registered

Post by rajeev0054 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:31 am

Thank you very much @ O_Relly

pbd
Newly Registered

Post by pbd » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:48 pm

hi
Have you heard anything from them

itzphani
Newly Registered

Post by itzphani » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:50 pm

What happened after that Rajeev??? I am in same position :-( your help much appreciated

Sapna234
Newly Registered
India

Post by Sapna234 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:34 pm

itzphani wrote:What happened after that Rajeev??? I am in same position :-( your help much appreciated
Hi phani we too are in the same situation what exactly happened in your case could u please share it ??Thanks

itzphani
Newly Registered

Post by itzphani » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:54 pm

Few days back when I back to UK at Hearthrow they detained me posing questions about my self employment. After dat they grant me temporary admission and said my case transferred to case work team and given date to attend with all required doucements.
What is your situation?

Sapna234
Newly Registered
India

Post by Sapna234 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:36 am

itzphani wrote:Few days back when I back to UK at Hearthrow they detained me posing questions about my self employment. After dat they grant me temporary admission and said my case transferred to case work team and given date to attend with all required doucements.
What is your situation?
Ya same thing happened with us while coming back to Heathrow asked so many questions regarding employment and we waiting for a letter from them which they told will send you desicion letter...can u plz share ur mobile num if it's k we can discuss furthur .Thanks

tier1-immigrant

Post by tier1-immigrant » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:00 am

rajeev0054 wrote:
I didn't pay the tax for the earning I declared for 2012 to 2013. Following the advise of the solicitors I have now amended the tax return online - the next day and paid part of the tax and arranged direct debit for the next 12 months.

Many thanks
Rajeev
May I ask why you did not pay the tax for 12-13 ? You paying the tax now after this inquiry, makes me think you owed the tax payment which you did not pay on time. Probably such things makes border agency to check every one entering uk, even if one has paid the tax.

itzphani
Newly Registered

Post by itzphani » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:05 am

Pkaliginadi@gmail.com
Plz can u giv ur mail address to above mail?
Last edited by itzphani on Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

itzphani
Newly Registered

Post by itzphani » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:51 am

Sapna234 wrote:Ya same thing happened with us while coming back to Heathrow asked so many questions regarding employment and we waiting for a letter from them which they told will send you desicion letter...can u plz share ur mobile num if it's k we can discuss furthur .Thanks
Yes Please, you can call me to this xxxx

itzphani
Newly Registered

Post by itzphani » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:55 am

itzphani wrote:
Sapna234 wrote:Ya same thing happened with us while coming back to Heathrow asked so many questions regarding employment and we waiting for a letter from them which they told will send you desicion letter...can u plz share ur mobile num if it's k we can discuss furthur .Thanks
Yes Please, you can call me to this number
Hi Sapna, can you give me call to my no. when you are free?

Thanks,
Last edited by itzphani on Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Go12
Member of Standing

Post by Go12 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:42 am

As I can see ,it's the self employment guys that are mostly stopped at Heathrow .
But again it's ridiculous,cause we go through extensions and there we are again checked by home office about our background and everything ,and at airports again the same thing.extensions and ILR fees are the highest fees ,we pay .This is very disappointing .

Sapna234
Newly Registered
India

Post by Sapna234 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:06 am

itzphani wrote:
itzphani wrote:
Yes Please, you can call me to this number
Hi Sapna, can you give me call to my no. when you are free?

Thanks,
Hi phani am sorry lil busy so couldn't call u will call in near time .....

itzphani
Newly Registered

Post by itzphani » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:03 pm

Guys today I have heard happy news from Immigration guys. They gave me approval immediately after checking my documents.
Here again I am explaining my case and what verifications done by Boarder force.

-Last week I have stopped by Immigration officer and when i am back from home at heathrow
-He asked me how I got tier1 extension and what earning I have shown
-I explained him i m self employed and I showed my salary+dividends
-He said he could not track my dividend info declared to HMRC
-I said it is available in Self assessments but he did not believe me and gave me appointemnt after one week to submit all relevant docs

Today:
-I have submitted all docs like
-peronal bank acct stats with salary+dividend entries during my previous earning period (which I had submitted for tier1 extension)
-Payslips + dividend vouchers
-Business acct stats+ invoices
-Corporation tax return + bank statement paying corp tax
-Highlighted VAT payments in business acct stats
-And my current employment ref letter saying i am employed and my contract rate on company letterhead

They took one hour and after that he stamped my passport with immigration stamp and given back to me

*They mainly checked whether my business earning re genuine and am i Paying taxes or not

Why these checks happening:
------------------------------------
After that when I asked immigration officer he said
-They are seeing so many malpractices with Tier1 visas. They have seen candidates showing earning from various companies to jus get the visa. after that no information about those earning to HMRC

I hope it helps and please Private message me if still any questions?

Kind Regards,

argus7
Wales

Post by argus7 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:02 pm

Simple abuse of Tier-1 brought to the closure of extensions. esp in the cases of self employed people.

Not paying tax is a big offence and will be a criminal conviction and one can be prosecuted. Before ILR all 5 tax years should be checked and any tax due should be paid promptly

I blame :

Dodgy tax accountants
People who abuse this system making it difficult for genuine people to renew and go for ILR.

One of the reasons why Tier-1 extensions are closed would be abuse and self employment and even some dodgy companies not declaring taxes and NI on time.

itzphani
Newly Registered

Post by itzphani » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:02 pm

One member email me few questions. Giving answers here so helpful to others as well.

1. Corporatation Tax return.
I remember the corporate tax is due next year, ie. corporate tax for 2014 is due dec 2015, right? In this case, HMRC will not have corporate tax record. What about your case?
[Answer] Border force questioned me whether I paid the tax for the earnings I claimed during my tier1 extension in 2013. Yes I paid that tax in 2014 and showed them recoreds

2. Dividend vat.
I remember when I claim dividend as earnings, VAT amount is also included. What about you? And it seems we do not have to put dividend vat return to HMRC, or just the total VAT return to HMRC, right?
[Answer]: Yes VAT is included in firm income which I charged my client when invoicing. And I pay that total VAT amount to HMRC every quarter. so I showed those entries in my business account

3. By the time you got your applicaiton, did they call your employer to check and verify?
[Answer] No

Hasib777
Newly Registered

Post by Hasib777 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:15 pm

Hi Guys,

I am going to apply for my ILR this November. This is the first time i am working as a Director of a Limited company and I need to show 35k to claim my previous earning.

My question is, will the gross dividend (Not the net Dividend) amount be counted towards my total earning of 35k or is it the net dividend after tax will be counted?

If I count only the net Dividend then i will be short of 3k to get 35k but if i add the gross dividend before tax then i can manage to earn over 35k.

Please reply me someone to help me to understand the process.

Thanks a lot.

Hasib

paboluuk

Post by paboluuk » Sun May 17, 2015 9:39 am

Hi rajeev0054,

How was the Interview ? Have you got your passports/BRP back ofter interview. Please let me know.

ueofs
Newly Registered

Post by ueofs » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:00 pm

What happened to rajeev and sapna?