ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK salaries for Java/J2EE developers

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ausapp
Newly Registered

UK salaries for Java/J2EE developers

Post by ausapp » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:44 pm

Hi all,

I know this might have been asked before on this forum but I couldn't find it.. I'm a Java/J2EE developer with 6 years of experience working in Australia and have an HSMP approval letter.. I told my manager about my plans to leave and he got me a pay rise to about the equivalent of GBP 45,000 (including 9% superannuation) which he claims is what I'd make in London. Just wondering if this is correct, whether I'd make less or more or how difficult it would be to find a job in London (I'm planning on going in Feb/March next year).

My background - I work for an insurance company but don't have any 'finance' experience, and I'm a decent developer, good problem solving skills, know some new technologies (hibernate for one), done some time as a team lead, but don't have every new buzzword on my CV (spring, SOA). Work with Websphere and Java/J2EE.

I should be on top of the world but now I'm just stressed.. This has made what was a pretty simple, risk free decision into a more complicated one. Money is not my only motivation in moving to the UK, but it would hurt to be paid less than I'm making now.. any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

thirdwave
Member of Standing

Post by thirdwave » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:33 am

You may make more money in the UK but its unlikely that you'd be better off, especially if you're already making that kind of money in Oz. Although I do not work in IT, many people in my profession who have done stints in Australia seem to be of the same opinion. The tax burden in the UK is one of the highest among OECD countries (over 37% & on the up) & the cost of living is extremely high. Disposable incomes are 2% down on 1997 levels thanks to Broon's stealth taxes.

My guess is that you'd need to earn atleast 65-70k in order to justify leaving your current job to relocate to the UK (unless the 'other considerations' for the move outweigh monetary ones) & I don`t think many IT peeps outside the city earn that sort of money.

You might be able to make a packet doing contract work by dodging taxes through umbrella companies but such work has its downsides like lack of stability,pension etc...

I suspect Wanderer might be better placed to advice you on this :)