ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Judicial Review

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

sanjaygul
Newly Registered

Judicial Review

Post by sanjaygul » Fri May 11, 2012 11:11 pm

While Judicial Reviewing the UKBA's decision of refusing Tier 1 (General) visa if the claimant looses then approximately how much a claimant has to pay to UKBA?

In case if the defendant looses then will they pay the cost of the cliamant's solicitor?

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Fri May 11, 2012 11:13 pm

How much depends how far down the line proceedings go. The losing party does not necessarily pay. The court makes an order for costs. Would suggest you seek advice from a solicitor.

sanjaygul
Newly Registered

Judicial Review

Post by sanjaygul » Fri May 11, 2012 11:21 pm

Approximately how many hearings takes place in the High Court for the case to get decided?

Does the Judge give decision on grounds of documents only?

avjones
Diamond Member

Re: Judicial Review

Post by avjones » Sat May 12, 2012 1:13 am

sanjaygul wrote:While Judicial Reviewing the UKBA's decision of refusing Tier 1 (General) visa if the claimant looses then approximately how much a claimant has to pay to UKBA?

In case if the defendant looses then will they pay the cost of the cliamant's solicitor?
When JR-ing any decision by any public body, the costs depend on what stage the case has reached, and how much in costs the Defendant has racked up.

If you apply for JR, the UKBA files an Acknowledgment of Service (AOS) and you are refused on the papers and don't renew the application, there will often but not always be a costs award against the Claimant in the region of £500.

If you don't get permission on the papers, renew the application and go for an oral hearing, and don't get permission then either, the costs are usually the same, just for the AOS, not usually for the UKBA attending the oral hearing.

If you get permission for JR, then lose the full hearing, the costs can be a lot more. How much really does depend on the specifics of the case, but £5,000 might not be that out of touch with many cases.

You will usually, but not always, get your costs if you win.
sanjaygul wrote:Approximately how many hearings takes place in the High Court for the case to get decided?

Does the Judge give decision on grounds of documents only?
Usually 1 or 2 hearings. If you get permission on the papers, there will usually be one more hearing, the full JR. If you get permission at the renewal hearing, then have the full JR, that would be two hearings.

There can sometimes be extra hearings, or adjournments for one reason or another.

The initial decision as to whether you get permission to bring a judicial review is on the papers. The judge can (1) grant permission, (2) refuse it, or (3) say that he's not sure and list it for an oral permission hearing.

If he refuses permission, then within 7 days, you can renew your application and permission is then considered at an oral hearing.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Sun May 13, 2012 6:25 pm

sanjaygul wrote:Please correct me if I am wrong:

Judicial Reviewing the UKBA's decision:

1. posting the protocol letter.

If the parties doesn't agree then

2. paying £60 to the court and then posting the N461 form for paper
application for permission to apply for JR.

If the permission is not granted then

3. paying no cost to the court. application for permission to apply for JR at
oral hearing.

If permission granted then

4. Paying £213 to the court and then applying for full JR.

5. oral hearing for full JR.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

sanjaygul
Newly Registered

N461 JR Claim Form

Post by sanjaygul » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:19 am

Who would be the interested party in case of filing JR in High Court against UKBA's decision of refusing visa?

Would it be the address where pre-action protocol letter should be sent?

Or

Would it be the address on the refusal letter received from UKBA?

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:37 pm

The UKBA may well be the interested party and the ECO the defendant. In circumstance like that it may not sometimes be necessary to have UKBA as an interested party if you are not challenging a UKBA policy guidance.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

johnjohn2000
Newly Registered

Judicial Review R (on the application of Waqar) v Secretary

Post by johnjohn2000 » Thu May 21, 2015 12:28 pm

Hi I need any advice on my Judicial Review application due to no in or out country appeal for an offence of fraud committed in 2009.

The Court and Judge decision says as follow;

The application is adjourned to be listed for an oral hearing, on notice to the respondent (Secretary of State) as soon as possible after 29th May 2015

Reasons;

This claim has extensive grounds, a lengthy Acknowledgment of Service (AOS) and a sizeable amount of documentation, and there need to be greater focus in presentation to enable the court to assess the parties’ argument. Also
I. The standing /ability to rely on the “reply to AOS/ AMENDMENT TO GROUNDS” needs to be determined and if its contents can be relied upon what the response of the respondent is to its content (particularly as to the “fresh evidence) : and
II. The court needs to be informed whether permission to appeal has in fact been granted in Waqar (as is implied at paragraph 3.11.1 of the “reply to AOS/ amendment to grounds

In light of these matters I believe that it is appropriate to take the unusual step of adjourning the permission application into the court.

Note….
The Respondent sought the applicant’s view as to seeking an extension of time for service of he Acknowledgment of Service for her to consider the decision in Waqar.

The Applicant agreed in the following terms:-

Please find attached two letters
(from child consultant paediatrician reports and social worker) concerning the best interests of my son for your client to consider along with her global consideration of her position on the Acknowledgment of Service [AOS]. If she is able to consider my position in light of these letters when considering her position on the Waqar case, I would not oppose any application for an extension of stay to file the AOS in order to consider her position on that case, otherwise I would object.”

Accordingly, the applicant made clear that his agreement to the extension rested on consideration of those two pieces of evidence but when the AOS was filed no consideration was given to the two letters .

One example of the consultant paediatrician report…..

if father is deported : given the specific nature of son complex disorder, have “life long” detrimental consequences for the child : if this contact is broken it will have a long term impact on his emotional development and significantly alter his long term life chances;

Another example of the Social worker report……..

the applicant now “plays a key role in supporting Son mother”
“have enabled him to develop skills in dealing with [Son] challenging behaviour…….this level of respite [ spending some weekends with his father, the applicant is “essential to Mother and Son
but also goes beyond that, showing that mother will lose the “essential respite care”

The evidence establishes that mother has in the past been suicidal and the impact on her had led in the past to Son being taken from her care after she bit son on the cheek and he was placed on the Child Protection Register.

Help with this Questions

1. The reply to the acknowledgment of service is made in light of two matters which have arisen since lodging the initial grounds for judicial:-

i) the promulgation of the UT decision in R (on the application of Waqar) v Secretary of State for the Home Department (statutory appeals/paragraph 353) IJR [2015] UKUT 169 (IAC), 25th March 2015 which is relied on by the Respondent in her Acknowledgment of Service served on 30th April 2015

ii) fresh evidence coming into existence which was served on the Respondent(Tsol) and UT) was it incumbent on the Respondent to take into account when formulating her Acknowledgement of Service pursuant to Section 55 of the Borders, Citizenship and Immigration Act 2009 and the agreement not to object to the extension of time.

iii) what is the best way to go about get an in country appeal .... below is the way I am pursuing in my JR application

The SoS’s main response in the AoS is the assertion that none of the above would make a material difference as to whether there is a realistic prospect of an immigration judge coming to a different conclusion. That is perverse for the following reasons.

The evidence shows that the applicant could now realistically succeed under the Immigration Rules and the AoS is incorrect that he does not:-