ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Declaring social welfare payment and naturalisation

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Raven7
Newly Registered

Declaring social welfare payment and naturalisation

Post by Raven7 » Wed May 20, 2015 10:30 am

Hi. I'm hoping someone can tell me what to do. I'm working full time. My wife is a housewife. She has been living in Ireland for 8 years, worked here as a volunteer, did some courses etc. but she never worked for salary, only for experience. About two years ago I had some problems at work when my wage was reduced and she applied for jobseekers allowance. She was granted it but it was only 8 euro payment. I kid you not. EIGHT euro. so we decided not to bother and after some time she just didn't go to collect her payment. Now she wants to apply for naturalisation and we are wondering if she should mention that in the application form? Do the check it at all? It was only 8 euro but it was less than 3 years ago. Should we mention that or just tick NO field? Thanks for your help in advance.

jeupsy

Re: Declaring social welfare payment and naturalisation

Post by jeupsy » Wed May 20, 2015 12:10 pm

Different people might have different opinions, but mine is that it is a bad idea to lie on the form. Regardless of how low the payments were, saying there were no payments is a lie and they could easily find out. It would also give them a perfect argument to refuse the application for some reason they don't like it.

My advice: just thick yes and in the "TYPE OF PAYMENT/SUPPORT" box write something like "jobseekers allowance (€8 per month)".

Raven7
Newly Registered

Post by Raven7 » Wed May 20, 2015 6:12 pm

Thanks. She is just afraid that if she tell them 'Yes' her application will be returned as she was receiving it less than 3 years ago. Anyone any experience with not declaring social payments? I'm sure they can't be checking everyone...

gb1985

Post by gb1985 » Wed May 20, 2015 6:27 pm

Raven7 wrote:Thanks. She is just afraid that if she tell them 'Yes' her application will be returned as she was receiving it less than 3 years ago. Anyone any experience with not declaring social payments? I'm sure they can't be checking everyone...
As far as I know, they do check for everyone. It is actually very easy for them to look up this information if they have her PPS number.

Raven7
Newly Registered

Post by Raven7 » Wed May 20, 2015 7:25 pm

gb1985 wrote:
Raven7 wrote:Thanks. She is just afraid that if she tell them 'Yes' her application will be returned as she was receiving it less than 3 years ago. Anyone any experience with not declaring social payments? I'm sure they can't be checking everyone...
As far as I know, they do check for everyone. It is actually very easy for them to look up this information if they have her PPS number.
I thought it's easy to see if are getting seocial payments at the moment, but if you were getting them a while ago will they not have to kind of search for it? You think they are doing it for everyone?

bstar

Post by bstar » Thu May 21, 2015 10:14 am

Few things here !

A : You should declare , non declaration will be taken as falsification .

B: You should only declare if you took any payments . Getting approved doesn't mean you got it . If you never picked up then it goes back and your account will show clear .

C: You can go to local social office and they will print your record .

D: Even if you declare it will not harm your application . So dont worry but dont declare it if you have not picked any payments . No point to make your case look bad .

See my other thread for more details http://www.immigrationboards.com/irelan ... 86470.html

Raven7
Newly Registered

Post by Raven7 » Thu May 21, 2015 10:27 am

Thanks a million. She got a few payments. You reckon it is still possible to get naturalisation now if she was receiving social welfare payments within 3 last years? I'll tell her to declare it then.

jeupsy

Post by jeupsy » Thu May 21, 2015 12:27 pm

Raven7 wrote:Thanks a million. She got a few payments. You reckon it is still possible to get naturalisation now if she was receiving social welfare payments within 3 last years? I'll tell her to declare it then.
It depends on the instructions the government is giving INIS and how much was collected.

With the current government and given the small amounts collected I doubt it would be an issue.

Could be different with a future government so now is a good time to apply.

bstar

Post by bstar » Thu May 21, 2015 12:40 pm

jeupsy wrote:
Raven7 wrote:Thanks a million. She got a few payments. You reckon it is still possible to get naturalisation now if she was receiving social welfare payments within 3 last years? I'll tell her to declare it then.
It depends on the instructions the government is giving INIS and how much was collected.

With the current government and given the small amounts collected I doubt it would be an issue.

Could be different with a future government so now is a good time to apply.

Yes for sure , I have many cases who got it recently even while on social welfare . As I said see http://www.immigrationboards.com/irelan ... 86470.html it has all information .