ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport return US embassy

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Lorimer84
Newly Registered

Passport return US embassy

Post by Lorimer84 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:52 pm

A quick question about the B2 visa process at the US embassy in London. My wife will submit her B2 application this week. She has a British passport but previous US immigration problems so hence the application.

We understand that you submit all the documents at the interview and then wait a week or so for your documents to be returned. The issue is that there are currently delays issuing US visas because of computer problems. We are not going to the US until August but we have a trip to Europe booked for 4 weeks’ time and are worried that she won’t get the passport back in time to travel. She has dual citizenship and could potentially travel on the other passport but we are not sure if the embassy will also retain that passport because we are also submitting it as part of the application (it is evidence of her recent travel history). Is it possible to retain this passport or request that they be sent earlier?

Thanks for any replies.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Re: Passport return US embassy

Post by cs95tdg » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:54 pm

From my personal experience, when I applied at the consulate a couple of years ago, you don't actually leave any of your original supporting documents other than your current passport (where the U.S. visa vignette will be affixed) with them. They scrutinise any required original documents at the time of your visa appointment/interview which just lasts a few minutes (unless you have a complex immigration history). So technically your wife should be able to travel on her other passport. I recall I had 2 old cancelled passports where I had expired US visa vignettes in, they asked to see the them, then stamped cancelled across those visas and returned the passports to me then and there.

I don't however know whether there would be a difference in the procedure for your wife, due to the past US immigration issues you refer to. As she will actually attend a interview, she will have the opportunity to explain her travel plans to ask whether they would be able to return the second passport to her at the time of the interview to enable her travel to Europe. My understanding is that they make the decision on the application at the time of the appointment/interview - however if their immigration systems remain unavailable with issues this may not be possible, as they wouldn't be able to do the necessary checks.