ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How long before I can convert my FLR(M) into British citizen

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Beamsley
Ireland

How long before I can convert my FLR(M) into British citizen

Post by Beamsley » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:16 pm

I came to the UK in May 2010 on a Tier 2 visa as a doctor and this changed to a FLR(M) in May 2014. Does anyone know when I can apply to become a British citizen or at least 'upgrade' my visa?

Simple things like planning trips away means applying for visas and standing in separate queues from my husband and child.

Thanks.

noajthan

Re: How long before I can convert my FLR(M) into British cit

Post by noajthan » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:07 pm

Beamsley wrote:I came to the UK in May 2010 on a Tier 2 visa as a doctor and this changed to a FLR(M) in May 2014. Does anyone know when I can apply to become a British citizen or at least 'upgrade' my visa?

Simple things like planning trips away means applying for visas and standing in separate queues from my husband and child.

Thanks.
To naturalise you first need to be 'settled', typically with ILR status.
To gain ILR will depend on your precise circumstances, (e.g. dates of visas, time in UK) and your spouse's status too, (whether settled or naturalised as a citizen & etc).

This should help you onto the next steps:
https://www.gov.uk/settle-in-the-uk/y
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:30 am

Unfortunately, by moving to FLR(M), you have reset the clock for your application for ILR. So, you will need to stay for 5 years on FLR(M), before applying for ILR. So, you are looking at May 2019, assuming the rules do not change significantly.

Had you stayed on Tier 2 (assuming Tier 2 General) and met the other conditions, you would have been eligible this year.

On the positive side, as the spouse of a British citizen, you can apply for citizenship immediatly after getting ILR. People not married to a British citizen need to wait for a year after ILR to apply for citizenship.

Beamsley
Ireland

Post by Beamsley » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:09 pm

Thanks secret.simon. That's a real pain as we asked UKBA what to do and that was their advice. Another 4 years of applying for travel visas whenever we want to go abroad.

I hope it won't affect any mortgage applications.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:35 pm

Unfortunately, they sometimes give the wrong advice that cannot be relied on.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

vishpb35

Post by vishpb35 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:41 pm

i would recommend that you apply for ILR after completing 5 years in UK (including Tier2 and FLR(M) times). In worst (5%) case, you would lose fee, but its worth applying for. From the information you have given, you are already eligible for ILR with entry date as may 2010. good luck !

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:27 pm

Such a combination is unsupportable by the Immigration Rules. Why do you think that the worst case for a refusal is only 5%?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:28 pm

vishpb35 wrote:i would recommend that you apply for ILR after completing 5 years in UK (including Tier2 and FLR(M) times). In worst (5%) case, you would lose fee, but its worth applying for. From the information you have given, you are already eligible for ILR with entry date as may 2010. good luck !
Your advise is not correct, the OP is NOT eligible for ILR under the circumstances OP has given.

The OP cannot combine Tier 2 time and FLR(M) time to make up 5 years. The combination can ONLY be used for 10 years long residence applications.

The OP will have no choice but to wait 5 years on FLR(M) before applying for ILR on Set(M)
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Casa

Post by Casa » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:31 pm

Bear in mind that even with ILR, if you need a visa to enter a country now, you will continue to need one until you are granted British citizenship.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:34 pm

There are no provisions to amalgamate leave under a different category in E-ILRP.1.3.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:51 pm

vishpb35 wrote:i would recommend that you apply for ILR after completing 5 years in UK (including Tier2 and FLR(M) times). In worst (5%) case, you would lose fee, but its worth applying for. From the information you have given, you are already eligible for ILR with entry date as may 2010. good luck !
Sorry but this is terrible advice which the OP should ignore.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

vishpb35

Post by vishpb35 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:16 pm

OP you may please ignore my comment. sorry i was not aware of new changes since 2014!