ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Contacting the GNIB: email/phone

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Contacting the GNIB: email/phone

Post by chaoclive » Fri May 29, 2015 5:21 pm

Hi there

I have a query for the GNIB (I was referred from the Visa section at INIS) but I am having issues when trying to email/call them. The email address listed on their website and the Citizens Information website (gnib_dv@garda.ie) doesn't seem to be working and has bounced back to me 4 times in a few days! :(

I live in Northern Ireland and have tried calling them on the number given on their website: 0035316669100. It just auto-disconnets every time. My phone can call international numbers no problem and I have called ROI, France, Iceland and China recently without issue.

Is anyone else having problems? Also, and perhaps more importantly, does anyone have other contact details (especially an email address) for them?

Cheers guys
CC

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Contacting the GNIB: email/phone

Post by chaoclive » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:14 pm

Any ideas?

benfares

Post by benfares » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:01 pm

Hi

You need a tesco calling card NI is part of the United Kingdom thats why

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:48 pm

benfares wrote:Hi

You need a tesco calling card NI is part of the United Kingdom thats why
I call my relatives in ROI on a regular basis. I also call other European countries (and China) quite often from my UK mobile so I am 100% sure that I know how to make an IDD call. There is absolutely no issue with this whatsoever.

I, having lived in NI most of my life (and, in the past, being a citizen of both countries), am very aware about the geographical/political boundaries between the UK & ROI. My parents live 5 minutes drive from the border on the NI side and I used to cross it on (at least) a weekly basis to buy cheap diesel in ROI. I didn't need that pointed out.

My issue was that the number kept disconnecting. I have just tried 2 minutes ago and (although they would be closed) I was able to connect so the issue on the line must have been fixed.

benfares

Post by benfares » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:12 am

Hi

Still dont understand I call with my UK mobile but with ROI tesco international calling card. Even if you have credit on your UK mobile you still need a international calling card for NI as I said part of the UK( I experienced this before)

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:20 am

benfares wrote:Hi

Still dont understand I call with my UK mobile but with ROI tesco international calling card. Even if you have credit on your UK mobile you still need a international calling card for NI as I said part of the UK( I experienced this before)
It will depend on your phone contract. I have an O2 Pay Monthly contract with the O2 Travel option (which doesn't really matter in this instance but help when I'm overseas). I doubt that all pay as you go phones will have the facility to call abroad direct dial, at least when I was younger this wasn't possible. This is something you need to check with the mobile phone provider.

It does not matter where you are calling to/from, what matters is whether your phone contract allows you to call or not. Mine does without any issue.

Don't forget you will also be able to dial directly from your landline.