ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Benifits

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ruqiaabibi
Newly Registered

Benifits

Post by ruqiaabibi » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:05 am

Hi I got ilr my doughter got british passport now I am applying for my wife ilr but I m greying child benefit plus child tax credit it will effect my wife application

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Benifits

Post by CR001 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:51 pm

If you are claiming child benefit in only your name it is fine.

Tax credits must be claimed in joint names with your wife.

There will be no effect on your wife's ILR.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Babajee85
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by Babajee85 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:49 pm

CR001 wrote:If you are claiming child benefit in only your name it is fine.

If someone is earning £37,121 and wife is not doing job at all.She is housewife.

Can they claim child tax credit. Please advise.

Thx

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:54 pm

Babajee85 wrote:
CR001 wrote:If you are claiming child benefit in only your name it is fine.

If someone is earning £37,121 and wife is not doing job at all.She is housewife.

Thx
Try http://www.entitledto.co.uk but to be honest I doubt there'd be any entitlement unless there's about 6 kids....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Petaltop

Post by Petaltop » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:58 am

Babajee85 wrote: If someone is earning £37,121 and wife is not doing job at all.She is housewife.

Tax Credits are income based benefits, you can support your family on that wage without the need for welfare payments.

Be grateful for that because all Tax Credit benefits are getting reduced from April 2016 and that includes for all exisiting claimants too. By April 2017, there will be cuts again to Tax Credits. UK said in the budget speech last week that the UK was more generous than Germany, Sweden and France with benefits for children and now they are stopping that. Nearly all UK benefits are getting cut.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:33 pm

Babajee85 wrote:If someone is earning £37,121 and wife is not doing job at all.She is housewife.

Benefits are meant for people who are towards the bottom of the income scale, to help them improve their means (that is the theory anyway).

At the salary that you have mentioned, you earn above the median of the fifth decile of the income scale in the UK, if you consider yourself as a family of two adults and a child. In other words, your family earns more than about 45% of UK households.

If you consider yourself as a single person (as you appear to be the sole earner), you are in the ninth decile (you earn more than 80% of UK adults). Under neither scale would you be considered anywhere near impoverished.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/m ... ry-compare

Given that you have alluded to the issue of needing benefits even when earning a very decent sum of income, is there any reason (apart from cultural ones) that your wife does not work? If she is disabled, she may be entitled to benefits on those grounds. If she is staying at home to look after the child (and any adults that need care), she may be entitled to a carers allowance. If she is unable to get a job because of a lack of skills, she can look at training options at the local Jobcentre.

There are benefits available, but they are there for a reason; to help people get up the social ladder.

Petaltop

Post by Petaltop » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:21 pm

secret.simon wrote:
There are benefits available, but they are there for a reason; to help people get up the social ladder.
Benefits were never intended for that reason. They were there as a temporary help for the poor.
Tax Credits only came in a decade ago and payments to claimants are having to be severely reduced because too many people are living on them instead of finding work/finding more work each week, to keep themselves and their own families. It was announced in the budget last week as Tax Credits are costing the UK 30+ billion and this is being stopped.

The cuts to Tax Credit claimants begin in April 2016 and continue over the next few years until Tax Credits are removed and replaced by Universal Credit in all areas. Tax Credits isn't the only benefit to be cut and the UKs benefit reductions will affect nearly all claimants.

The changes also mean there will now be very little transitional protection for claimants who still aren't working enough to keep themselves and their children and are then moved onto the much stricter Universal Credit.

Petaltop

Post by Petaltop » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:37 pm

Duplicate

Petaltop

Post by Petaltop » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:39 pm

duplicate